0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 10:08 AM by jordan-f5

Export to HTML: list item issues?

jordan-f5

Attempting to start producing HTML versions of my InDesign (CS 6) content.  When designing the guide, HTML wasn't in my mind, so i have tons of styles and overrides.  The HTML export seems to handle those pretty well with the CSS.  Where I'm running into issues is with nested ordered and unordered lists.  I'm afraid the answer is going to be "InDesign wasn't designed to do that", but i'll ask anyway.

<update>The paragraph style i had after the list item to indent the rest of the list body was causing the list items to close.  the weird hard coded number/letter/bullet is still there, but I fixed that via an external script., marking answered as this was the main issue</update>

The crux of the issue:  While the CSS produced by the export does a decent job of rendering the file, the actual code is kinda goofy, and I'm not able to use the css styles on the corp website, so was hoping to just use the base html tags.

For example:

In Indesign I have a list that looks like this done with paragraph styles:

1. list item one
      2. list item two
        • bullet one
        • bullet two
          1. sub list item a
          2. sub list b, etc

On the conversion to HTML, Indesign is closing every <ol> or <ul> after every list item, and using CSS to indent and essentially override the <li> and is hard coding the number, letter or bullet, for example:

<ol>

<li class="Steps-L1-first"><span class="normal-100-black char-style-override-3">1.&#9;</span>some text here</li>

</ol>

<p>a body style to indent properly.. maybe this is where things are messing up with the closings?</p>

<ol>

<li class="Steps-L1-first"><span class="normal-100-black char-style-override-3">2.&#9;</span>some text here</li>

</ol>

<p></p>

(then a UL that is supposed to be nested)

<ul>this is

<li></li>

</ul>

<p></p>

<ul>

<li></li>

</ul>

Etc.  Is this just a limitation with the export, and indesign doesn't really understand the lists are supposed to be nested (or not to close the list after every list item), or is there a way to define the list in the paragraph style (or other setting) so that this doesn't happen?

Thanks!