5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 6:45 AM by Szalam

Media Encoder CC / 2017 - BUGS! Alternatives? Deprecated Formats?

Robert_S1

Hi,

i have so many problems with AME - since CC 200x until today, old and new bugs, really annoying!

- There is a audio bug - which repeats audio at the end of a video sometimes

- It renders few frames too little or too much sometimes, without any reason

- Its unbelievable slow, sometimes it takes minutes to send the comp to AME queue

- One time i even got pixels which didn t exist, shape layer was about 1px wider then it actually is

- AME wasn t able to recognize and show video copilots optical flares, only showed solids instead.

- Latest prob: My render queue was the wrong way up. Therefore queued videos didn't start rendering after finishing the first one! Really don't know how that could happen. After unsuccessfull trying to change it, i disabled the queue window and wanted to renable it. Then AME completely crashed! I even couldn't open it again, no way. So i had to rename the /documents/adobe/AME folder to AME_old to get it running again. This is really unbearable!

After renaming the folder, restarting AME, queueing my videos again.... The render order was displayed right again....

So, my question:

- is there any way to get back the deprecated formats in the internal render queue in CC2017?!

- is there any third party plugin which could be a solution for rendering without multiple bugs / errors / failures?!

@ Adobe, sorry guys. We pay enough money for the cloud. Why the heck do you force us to use AME if its so slow and buggy?!

I know many ppl. thinking the same like me. Its just annoying and slowing down our work!

So please offer a solution to this problem OR bring back the internal render queue with all common used formats e.g. h.264! Its way faster, and i never had such problems with it like with AME!

Looking forward to any solution.

Thanks,

Rob

• 1. Re: Media Encoder CC / 2017 - BUGS! Alternatives? Deprecated Formats?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd post about your AME issues in the Adobe Media Encoder (AME) forum. They would be more likely to be able to help with AME problems.

Now, for the AE problems you are having, what, exact version of AE and AME are you using?

What hardware do you have? Etc. More info will help us diagnose your issues.

• 2. Re: Media Encoder CC / 2017 - BUGS! Alternatives? Deprecated Formats?
            Robert_S1 Level 1

Hi,

i am using the latest version of AE (14.0.1.5), same for AME - 11.0.0.131.

Working on a MacPro end 2013

3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Shouldn't be the reason for very poor performance of AME i guess. Other ppl., different Systems, everyone has problems with AME and not pleased with its performance!

It seems like, one day its ok, another day AME is very slow and producing many problems.

I still don't get why we get forced to use AME instead of internal queue. No reason to completely abolish it. Even if AME is obviously problematic - and it is since many versions....

Looking forward to any support.....!

Thanks

• 3. Re: Media Encoder CC / 2017 - BUGS! Alternatives? Deprecated Formats?

Robert_S1  wrote

i am using the latest version of AE (14.0.1.5), same for AME - 11.0.0.131.

Those are not the latest versions. AE is on version 14.1.0.x and AME is on 11.0.2.x

I'm not saying those updates will make everything in the world better, but your computer is lying to you about being up to date, so who knows what other evil lurks inside it?

Robert_S1  wrote

everyone has problems with AME and not pleased with its performance!

I don't know that "everyone" is quite accurate. I know lots of people who are quite happy with it. However, you are unlikely to find whole threads full of them online because people usually don't make the effort to come into the forums to create a thread saying, "Everything is fine, thanks. No issues here."

Now, the issues you are experiencing seem to be many. I can certainly understand your frustration. I mean, even among those folks who are having issues, you seem to be getting the jackpot here. I am on these forums A LOT and usually only one or two things are problems.

For the record, you don't have to use AME to render your AE projects. You can render out of AE's render queue into an intermediate codec first. And then you can use AME to create your deliverable. That's how I've worked for a decade or so (since well before the MP4 exports were deprecated from AE). It prevents some of the issues you are talking about.

Now, all of that being said, you do seem to have a surprising number of really annoying issues. I don't think I can address all of them well enough, but I can try!

I know the widespread audio repeating issue was fixed in an update. If you still experience it after the update, you are the first person I've heard of to report this new bug.

The rendering of too many or too few frames sounds like the connection between AE and AME isn't working right.

The really slow time to get your comp sent to AME from AE is also indicative of connection problems. Folks have fixed issues like this by dealing with their computer's firewall, ports, etc.

(Again, these last two issues would be worked around by rendering from AME into an intermediate format first - which is my normal workflow.)

Rendering pixels that don't exist is just weird. Again, not something I've heard reported anywhere else that I can remember. Only things I can think of that would cause this is bad connection or bad cache.

Optical Flares not rendering...did you have it set to be GPU-accelerated? I'll bet if you turned that feature off, it wouldn't be an issue. (Or just render from AE into an intermediate first... )

As to your other questions, I've had talks with the AE team about the deprecated formats in AE. They are pretty set on focusing AE on what it's good at and letting the AME team focus on encoding. So, I wouldn't look to see those formats return to AE. They are working on improving the connection between AE and AME though.

And there is no third-party plugin that I know of that would help with this, but my workflow suggestion of rendering an intermediate file first would solve the vast majority of your problems.

Should I have a moderator move your post to the AME forum? It seems like your issues are more with the Adobe Media Encoder than with After Effects.

I wonder if a complete uninstall of your Adobe software, running the Adobe CC Cleaner, and then reinstalling would fix most of your problems. I mean, I would try the updates to AME and AE first, of course...

• 4. Re: Media Encoder CC / 2017 - BUGS! Alternatives? Deprecated Formats?
                robsn_

Hey Szalam,

first of all - thanks for your answer(s)!

You are right, i missed the updates. So i will see if it changes at least some of my probs.

I honestly don't want to render a intermediate file out of AE's render queue. This shouldn't be necessary and would make AME totally useless... If Adobe restricts the normal render queue they need to ensure AME is working. Rendering 2 times is not an option at all, concerning render time...

You mentioned the bad connection between AE and AME - this is what it often feels like!

"Folks have fixed issues like this by dealing with their computer's firewall, ports, etc."

Could you precise this? Sounds interesting to me. What do i need to to with firewall exactly?

Thanks again!

Rob

• 5. Re: Media Encoder CC / 2017 - BUGS! Alternatives? Deprecated Formats?

robsn_  wrote

You are right, i missed the updates. So i will see if it changes at least some of my probs.

We can hope! Please let us know how it goes.

robsn_  wrote

I honestly don't want to render a intermediate file out of AE's render queue. This shouldn't be necessary and would make AME totally useless...

I disagree. AME is useful because it makes the deliverable. One of the reasons I often render an intermediate first is that I can then make several different deliverables and test different encoding settings without having to render my really heavy AE comps over again each time. (I often have to try to squeeze as much quality in as small a space as possible, so there will often be several versions attempted). Since I'm just encoding a video file, it goes really fast vs. having to render my 3d animation over every time. It literally saves hours!

robsn_  wrote

If Adobe restricts the normal render queue they need to ensure AME is working. Rendering 2 times is not an option at all, concerning render time...

I agree! It should just work. Hopefully the issue is a technical one on your system that you can fix.

robsn_  wrote

You mentioned the bad connection between AE and AME - this is what it often feels like!

"Folks have fixed issues like this by dealing with their computer's firewall, ports, etc."

Could you precise this? Sounds interesting to me. What do i need to to with firewall exactly?

I can't be much more specific. I've not had any of these issues myself, so I haven't had to go through it. Basically, the connection from AE to AME uses networking protocols, so sometimes making sure Dynamic Link services are allowed through your firewall can make a difference and checking to make sure certain ports aren't blocked can help. That's the best I can recall without some serious Google searching.