• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import flat file for product retrieval

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our supplier provides us a flat .txt file with their inventory in a secure FTP location. My goal is to import that automatically, so BC can detect new inventory with the correct fields. As an interim solution, I have been manually doing product bulk imports, but it's a time consuming process.

Can BC read the .txt file for importing products? Or even connect to the FTP share to grab it on a periodic basis?

Thank you!

TOPICS
eCommerce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

No; it won't pull in import files at all. Also, it will only understand it's own file syntax.

It's possible to create a tool that accepts the supplier's file, and outputs the .csv that BC expects. Even regular spreadsheet apps should be able to automatically process most text files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No; it won't pull in import files at all. Also, it will only understand it's own file syntax.

It's possible to create a tool that accepts the supplier's file, and outputs the .csv that BC expects. Even regular spreadsheet apps should be able to automatically process most text files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Two follow-up questions...

1. If I get access to a REST API from the supplier, can I use that for E-Commerce? Is that under Site Settings>API Integration?
  2. How can I define that syntax for BC? When I bulk import products, I am given a set of fields, but I'm not sure how to customize them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 has the same issue; BC won't pull data in ‒ you have to push the data to BC, in the way it expects. Custom connector code would be suitable for that.

#2 ‒ have a look at a product list file exported from BC. The supplier data must be transformed to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Robert, you are touching one the major flaws of the BC E-commerce module:

As you mentioned, the supplier data must not only be transformed to match the expected BC columns in the spreadsheet, it must be merged into the existing BC product data:

export products data from BC

merge with new data

import product data

It has been proven a major hassle for all our ecomm clients, the solution is rather simple though:

On the E-Commerce / Products / Import Products screen BC adds to the

'Import Action' radio (Add/Update Items and Delete Items) options a third choice: 'Edit Items' that would ignore empty cells in the upload file. Then the upload file can have only 2 columns filled, for example if only stock needs to be updated:

Product code | Name | etc | Stock

728987123    |            |      | 132

Easy to export from most end-clients ERPs.

The request is with BC for 6 years now....

The REST API accesses products by their {{id}}, the csv upload by their product code, the {{id}} is not available there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines