3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 8:42 AM by Szalam

Recommendation on a graphics card for my computer.

BVargas

Hello!

I am looking for a graphics card that would increase the rendering speed for both my after effects frames and painting on large files in photoshop. In after effects, I am currently creating a 3d animation from 2 dimensional assets imported from photoshop. I turn the layers into 3d objects so I can cast lights and whatnot. In photoshop, I generally like to use the mixer brush in order to get a realistic, painterly feel from my brushes.

I am currently using a mid 2011 21.5 inch monitor imac desktop and I just recently bumped my RAM up to 20 gbs in hopes of getting a faster render. Unfortunately, the most recent upgrade seems to not have changed much in regards to after effect's render speed even with quality set at quarter.

I am really taking a liking to After effects and I would like to use it in the future to create motion graphics and more motion illustrations from large photoshop files.

A recommendation of which drive would suit these needs would greatly help. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

• 1. Re: Recommendation on a graphics card for my computer.
          BVargas Level 1

Please excuse my computer illiteracy, I am just now starting to look into how I can help my machines out.

I also wanted to ask if there is anything I can do or parts I should look into to help speed up my media encoder exporting high quality footage?

Thanks again for looking at these questions and the recommendations if you have them

• 2. Re: Recommendation on a graphics card for my computer.
            S_Gans Adobe Community Professional

Hi. You're so lucky to have the last of the iMacs that CAN have the graphics card upgraded without soldering!

Not sure if you've seen it, but there's a really long thread about that year's iMac on MacRumors.com (and the content near the end is really recent):

2011 iMac Graphics Card Upgrade | Page 27 | MacRumors Forums

Seems the biggest issue is for people to get the faster card's EFI flashed. Perhaps macvidcards.com has the resource to do it for you? Otherwise, these still seem to work (if you can get them), but you lose your boot screen.

Today, I upgraded the GPU on my 2010 MacPro. Tested a bit. After Effects rendering was improved, but you may find that you After Effects uses the graphics card CPU less than you think in previewing - but it did speed my render. Premiere Pro - THERE I saw a difference in preview and render...

Wish you luck on this endeavor!

• 3. Re: Recommendation on a graphics card for my computer.
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The GPU is not used for much in After Effects. Unless you are using the (obsolete) ray-traced renderer, the workflow you have described in After Effects would not benefit from a GPU at all.

I'd recommend posting in the respective forums of the other software to see if what you do would benefit from a GPU in them or not. I know Photoshop uses the GPU for some things, but I don't know exactly what.