Does this only happen for you on your end? Have you actually tested on a system that actually uses these languages?
Drawing from some distant memory here. It's been a few years since I've seen mention of it, but CHM files used to have issues displaying properly unless they were being actually viewed on a system with the operating system in that specific language.
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm getting it tested now on a local OS but it should still display on any OS once compiled correctly, or that's what I've always though.
I did install the language packs and update the locale settings on the OS as suggested above. Other Asian languages (Chinese, Japanese etc.) display and function just fine.
The display issues appear to be limited to certain characters. For example, in Romanian it's only 'ț' and 'ș' which don't appear. So I wondering if it's to do with fonts and if there are recommended fonts for these languages for CHM files? I tried some unicode fonts but without success.
Unfortunately viewing the CHM on the fully localized OS did not work. Any further help or advice appreciated.
Does RoboHelp fully support Vietnamese and Romanian characters in the HHC and HHK? I have searched but cannot find the answer.
One thing we do that helps when we build .chm files for different languages is in to set the system locale on the machine building the help to the target language locale. I don't know if you already tried that or not. (If you built the help in the target language operating system, I imagine that does the same thing.)
You can use Language Settings screen in Control Panel to change the system locale.
Thanks Peter. You were correct, the WebHelp out looks fine but I still don't have a solution for the CHM.
I uninstalled HTML Help Workshop to see what would happen and I got this message:
The version I had was only 1.3 but I knew from working on a project years ago there was a 1.4 version - except I cannot find at the Microsoft website states:
All HTML Help downloads are now available from the Microsoft.com Download Center.
Note The latest version of the HTML Help technology is 1.4, as is the SDK. The latest version of HTML Help Workshop is 1.3. As of June 2009 there is no HTML Help Workshop 1.4.
Any further help is appreciated. I am using all the recommended locale settings, although I'm not sure if the fonts should also be updated.
It is only the SDK that ever went to 1.4. You need the download on that page, which is 1.3 for the Workshop.
I have a feeling that people have seen issues when installing it that way rather than letting RoboHelp do it. Perhaps Rick can comment. That's just to get you up and running again with the compiler.
I doubt it will solve your problem once you are past that stage. I'm not really sure as I don't do CHMs but I think the issue will be that the compiler simply doesn't understand those languages. Remember, Microsoft last updated it in 2004. RoboHelp added support for these languages much later and, as you can see, it works in outputs that do not rely on the compiler.
Maybe ask on a general forum the forum of another authoring tool to see if others have the same issue outside of RoboHelp. If it can be pinned on RoboHelp rather than the compiler, then Support may have the answer.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information