Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reporting Drag & Drop?

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First thank you to any of the people who seem to tirelessly help people like me figure out our challenges, and making forums like this work.

I'm new to captivate, so apologies, but I've looked through previous questions and not found an answer I was sure related to Captivate 9.

My Challenge

On Captivate 9, I want to have users re-order five options into there first, second, third, fourth and last preference.

Then I want this order to be reported to the LMS as scorm or xAPI (guess I should be moving with the times)...

I want to do this with a Drag'n'Drop slide, to give a good intuitive and interactive experience.

My Questions

Is it possible with advanced actions, or any other way, to report the which sources are place on which targets?

As I'm new to Captivate, if it's not possible I'd like to know the best ways to survey users for opinions...

So, what would be the best way to create a way for the user to order choices and get that reported.  What's the most intuitive solution you've managed?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't only depend on Captivate, but also on the LMS: can it capture and report the values of user variables?

Normally a D&D slide set up as a question slide, will only report the score. That score will be obtained if the answer was totally correct, even one missing drag action will lead to a score = 0. That is not what you want.

Same with the sequence slide, which allows dragging as well, but is a default type of quiz slide. It seems to give however some issues for responsive projects. You didn't specify which type of project you want to create, nor the exact version number of CP. Latest version is 9.0.2.437.

If it is a survey question, you could have a look at this pretty old blog post, where I describe how to use a MCQ question as survey question. Obviously not your use case, and could be done in a more elegant way in recent versions (due to shared actions), but it can perhaps be of some help:

Graded Survey? - Captivate blog

I answered in another thread recently, about a survey problem as well:

Pretest quiz - help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,
Thank you for the speedy response!
Really useful, but I've not got there yet, could you help a little more?

I'm very new to scorm and captivate so hope I'm keeping up with this.

I'm on the latest version of Captivate 9.0.2.437.

Our current LMS is Docebo which is SCORM, TIN CAN compliant, but I can't see a specific reference in their support area to user variables.  There is additionally an api which allows us to set and update new on the user profile fields but hopefully it'll accept a us to set a user variable in the SCORM.  I've set the project to SCORM 2004 but didn't know where to go from there (see below)

D&D

Yep, I see that normally a D&D slide will only report a score.  In a non-normal situation is there a way for a drag and drop to a target to effect a user variable?

Sequence as a Solution
I can see that the sequencing question works and reports an order in SCORM, so that is a solution in Standard Projects though worrying that it might not be possible in Responsive Projects when we get to designing those... 

I don't seem to be able to give the text box a fill or stoke (rather than text on question slides).

User Variables
I read the posts and blogs with interest, and think that a user variable could be the way to go.  I can follow process of using toggle, literal or increment depending on the situation, to effect a user variable so that at the end of the process the we have the values we want to go out in SCORM etc.

What would be the process of Submitting a User Variable to LMS? I have tried to look but most blogs seem to talk about using the User Variables to provide feedback within the project rather than reporting it alongside quiz answers. 

Could be the answer, that is assuming the LMS will accept it.

Many thanks,

Richard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For D&D you can define an action for each drag action by the user, they are to be found in the Object Actions dialog box. You need to select a drop target to see the button 'Object Actions'. More info in these blog posts:

Drag&Drop tips - Captivate blog

Drag&Drop in 2016 with Captivate 9 - Captivate blog

Such an action could be used to change the value of a user variable. You'll have to reflect how to define such a value, how many user variables you want to use. As for how to transmit them to the LMS, cannot answer directly. Maybe talk with the IT people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources