Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe wasting my time

Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why force me to sign up for a distribution license?

Why do you have to waste my time? It was so easy before, download the msi and install it.

I can't wait to see the death of adobe flash.

To make it worse adobe flash was remove adobe reader making the whole thing even more annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jacksimpson

Flash Player distribution has ALWAYS required a distribution license.  The previous system did not enforce this and thus did not verify whether or not customers had a current/valid distribution license.  The new system does.

I don't know what you mean by "To make it worse adobe flash was remove adobe reader making the whole thing even more annoying." Flash Player as Flash Player and Reader are completely different software and installation of one does not affect the installation of the other.  Please explain what the situation is so that we may attempt to assist you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the backstory here is that the distribution download links were being egregiously abused, and it ultimately became necessary to restrict access to authorized, licensed users.  It was definitely not our first choice.

We provide the distribution links as pain relief for the system administration community.  In point of fact, we forego revenue that we otherwise would have derived from that download traffic (and incur significant additional engineering and testing costs), for the sole purpose of making life easier for sysadmins. 

If you find that those courtesy offerings are simply too inconvenient to take advantage of, you're absolutely more than welcome to allow your end-users to download and install Flash Player in an ad-hoc manner from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/, or to standardize your organization on a browser/os target that bundles Flash Player as a built-in component, like Google Chrome, or Internet Explorer and Edge on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe flash is free right? even after applying for a distribution license? So why not just give it out then for distribution? Why does it matter if a business deploys flash in their network, compared to one person downloading it? It is free after all so it is just a technicality.

I don't need a distribution license to deploy Adobe Reader. Is that only a matter of time as well?

Imagine every bit of software required a distribution license. Sysadmins would have to constantly apply for licenses.

Revenue from downloading traffic is a bad argument. After applying for a license Adobe still doesn't reclaim that download traffic. Even if i package it in to the wim adobe doesn't get any download traffic. It is questionable whether Adobe cares much about revenue from download traffic. If I package it in to the wim, I am unable to keep it up to date because there are constant updates due to all the critical security issues. As adobe flash auto update doesn't work without admin rights auto update doesn't work in a corporate network.

I am sorry for my original post being RUDE. It just frustrates me to have to request a license to deploy flash, something I have done for 10 years or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't need a distribution license to deploy Adobe Reader. Is that only a matter of time as well?

Not true.  A license to redistribute Adobe Reader has been required for a long time (I can't say always, as I don't work on Reader, but I know it's been required).  See Volume distribution | Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

If I package it in to the wim, I am unable to keep it up to date because there are constant updates due to all the critical security issues. As adobe flash auto update doesn't work without admin rights auto update doesn't work in a corporate network.

Again, not necessarily true.  While updates installed via Notification Updates, or the standalone installer, do require Admin rights to install, Background Update workflow uses the SYSTEM account to update Flash Player silently in the background, whether or not the user is logged on. If the system is turned on and has an active internet connection when the check for an update is made, and one is found, Flash Player will update silently in the background without user interaction.  You can either allow the clients to download Flash Player Background Updates from Adobe's servers, or host the updates locally in your intranet and the clients download from your local intranet.  This option would require you to update the locally hosted files with each release.  Please refer to the Flash Player Administrator's Guide for information on the various supported installation methods.  Of note: If a system is opted into Background Updates, it's also opted into Notification Updates, however, the Background Update check interval is much more frequent than Notification Updates check which means, unless the system fails to update via Background Updates the user would be prompted, via Notification Update, that an update is available.  To prevent a system that is opted into Background Updates from updating via Notification Updates requires hosting the Background Updates locally.

It just frustrates me to have to request a license to deploy flash, something I have done for 10 years or something.

As mentioned previously, Flash Player redistribution has always required a distribution license. The previous page even stated this at the top of the page, which many people ignored.  The previous workflow did not require customers to validate they had a valid/current distribution license and many people, such as yourself, did not have the distribution license.  The new workflow requires customers to validate the distribution license is current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines