Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sub paths to layers

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forum!

I am looking for a script which creates layers for each separate selection. The following image should illustrate what I mean:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-16 um 14.34.06.png

Imagine you have a lot of such selections and want to have each of them in a single layer so that you can play around with them. I know that this should be possible, as I found a dead link to a script posted 5 years ago in another forum (subpathstolayers.zip).

Can anyone help me? !

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

If you first lift the content onto a Layer of its own (Layer Via Copy, cmd-J) this should work, provided the distance between the elements is sufficient.

Re: Isolating groups of pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can separate out the various selections. While changing the selections to a path seems like it should work, as the reference you gave. I don't think it would work with Photoshop. You can't use scripting to select subpaths of a single path, as you can in Illustrator. Somehow, you would have to be able to separate all the subpaths into separate paths. The only workaround, I can think of is to import the path into IA, then script IA to break up the paths to bring back into PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your fast reply! I was really hoping that there was a script, as they discussed it here: Photoshop: Quick way to make multiple layers from inversely selected objects. | Photoshop Family Cus...

The workaround with IA seems a bit too complicated for my use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at that thread. Lots of knowledgeable people: Chris, Paul, & Christoph. There didn't seem to be a good way to do this, other than maybe splitting up the image. One possible way, which would be slow, would be to place the selection on a new layer without the background. Then sample the color of the layer in steps using a try/catch block. if the sample didn't throw an error, then use the magic wand tool on contiguous to make a selection of that spot with a big tolerance so it captures all the area. Then put that selection on a new layer and delete the selection that it found on the original layer. keep doing that until the entire image is done. This might take longer than it would to do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you first lift the content onto a Layer of its own (Layer Via Copy, cmd-J) this should work, provided the distance between the elements is sufficient.

Re: Isolating groups of pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are amazing! It works perfectly!

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines