• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Objects and opacity

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty new to working with smart objects in PS CC but I've run into a little glitch. I've tried looking to see if others had the same issue as me, but I can't seem to find any information on it. I'm wondering if anyone could explain it or could guide me into a better solution for my issue.

I've created a main file labeled, "A". Then a second file labeled, "B". B contains layers that have some level of opacity on them. When I go to link the layer onto A, the opacity of those layers is no longer applied in the rendering in A. I do not want the whole layer to be opaque, just those individual layers from B to be the level of opacity that was already determined from the original file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Hi - well that took some tracking down.

It is caused by the setting in Colour Settings - "Blend Text Colours using Gamma".

With it checked the text layers are blended using the gamma set in the box (default 1.45)  but the Smart object is blended using the gamma of the working space (which if sRGB or ARGB will be 2.2). So the blended text and the blended smart object look different

With it unchecked then both use the working space gamma so the text will then match.

Try it - it works

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It looks to be working here.

Image 1 conists of 3 layers with opacity as shown in the layer panel

When linked as a smart object in image 2 - the layer opacities are retained

If that does not work for you , I would try resetting preferences

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting the preferences and it still doesn't seem to work the way it should.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact it's a text layer.

This is the B file. You can see "Hi, Alexis Freeman" is opacity 54% of #000 reading at a hex number of #9a9a9a.

B.png

But when that file is brought over as a smart object into file "A", the text is reading at a hex of #757575.

A.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - well that took some tracking down.

It is caused by the setting in Colour Settings - "Blend Text Colours using Gamma".

With it checked the text layers are blended using the gamma set in the box (default 1.45)  but the Smart object is blended using the gamma of the working space (which if sRGB or ARGB will be 2.2). So the blended text and the blended smart object look different

With it unchecked then both use the working space gamma so the text will then match.

Try it - it works

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave!

That solved my problem! Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Tess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!!!

This was so helpful

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines