• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get to Flash Player download page.

Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting redirected to a page that tells me how to enable Flash Player, but it already is.

I am using MS Edge ver 38.14393.0.0 on a Windows 10 machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Flash Player is a built in component of Edge and Internet Explorer on Windows 10.  It's literally baked into the browser.  There's nothing separate to download or install, and updates are delivered via Windows Update.

What I'm guessing is happening, is that you're visiting a website that tells you that you need Flash Player, but in fact, you already have it.

Here's my generic advice for that scenario:

First, confirm that ActiveX Filtering is configured to allow Flash content:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player is a built in component of Edge and Internet Explorer on Windows 10.  It's literally baked into the browser.  There's nothing separate to download or install, and updates are delivered via Windows Update.

What I'm guessing is happening, is that you're visiting a website that tells you that you need Flash Player, but in fact, you already have it.

Here's my generic advice for that scenario:

First, confirm that ActiveX Filtering is configured to allow Flash content:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

Internet Explorer 11 and Edge introduce a number of changes both to how the browser identifies itself to remote web servers, and to how it processes JavaScript intended to target behaviors specific to Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, this means that content on some sites will be broken until the content provider changes their site to conform to the new development approach required by modern versions of IE.

You can try to work around these issues by using Compatibility View:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11

If that is too inconvenient, using Google Chrome may be a preferable alternative.

If you're using old desktop software that requires Flash Player, it's quite possible that you'll need an updated version of the software (ancient versions of QuickBooks are a good example).  In those instances, applications frequently "got" Flash Player by embedding an instance of Internet Explorer into their application, and they made assumptions (reasonable at the time) about where and how they should check for the presence of Flash Player.  Because of the architectural changes to IE and Edge in modern versions of Windows; however, those assumptions may not necessarily hold true, and you'd need an update from the application developer themselves to get around it.

If neither of those apply, please take a step back and just explain what you're trying to do, and what the symptoms you're experiencing are.  The context will probably help us give you a better answer.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, I'm using Edge, not IE. I was just trying to update to the latest ver of Flash Player. According to Windows, everything for MS is up to date, but according to your site, I have an outdated ver of Flash Player. I don't know where to find ActiveX controls or switch to Compatibility View in Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  Edge has changed a little bit, and my macros didn't keep up.

Please give this a shot:

Adobe Flash Player issues with Windows 10 (Microsoft Edge)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated in my original question, Flash Player is enabled. Just trying to get it updated to the most recent ver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go back and re-read the first answer

YOU MAY NOT UPDATE Flash player in Microsoft Edge or Microsoft Internet Explorer... that is reserved for Microsoft

Search Microsoft – Official Home Page  for all things Microsoft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updates to Flash Player running in Edge and Internet Explorer are delivered by Microsoft, via Windows Update, either separately, or as part of a patch to Internet Explorer and/or Edge.  You really have to go out of your way to end up with a stale Flash Player in this environment.

While I suppose it's possible that your Internet Explorer or Edge installation is damaged such that Windows is unable to update the Flash Player component, it's unlikely, and would be something you'd need help from the Windows support folks to debug and fix.

In practice, what is far more common is that you actually do have a current, working version of Flash Player, but the website you're looking at fails to detect it in Edge, for the reasons that I outlined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines