• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Media Encoder CC 2017.0 doesn't use CUDA on GeForce GTX 1080 SLI?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When encoding video:

GPU load 0%

CPU load 100%

All CUDA settings is on.

Video driver version 376.53

GPUSniffer

--- GPU Computation Info ---

Found 2 devices supporting GPU computation.

CUDA Device 0 -

Name: GeForce GTX 1080

Vendor: NVIDIA

Capability: 6.1

Driver: 8

Total Video Memory: 8192MB

CUDA Device 1 -

Name: GeForce GTX 1080

Vendor: NVIDIA

Capability: 6.1

Driver: 8

Total Video Memory: 8192MB

Screenshot

GPU Load is Graph #3 on left side.

Screen.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anything in your project GPU accelerated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm just cut parts from source file, make clip from them and export to Encoder to encode video file.

I read about GPU accelerated effect and other stuff, but here just encoding process.

And it can and should use CUDA to accelerate encoding process.

Lost 2-3 hours to encode short clip, it's very disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two GTX 1080's but the most important is the CPU what are you using?

You may want to download my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and test your system.  It has four tests that you run and submit the results and I will try to analyze how well it is working.  Incidentally, you can see the high GPU usage when you run the test timelines that are  GPU accelerated.  There is also a Disk I/O test and a CPU only intensive test.  These are hardware intensive tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro does not recognize SLI, although it WILL use two GPUs, ( as long as they are using the same driver), in certain operations to speed performance....Bill knows about this, he has tested two AND three separate GPUs with PPro.

CUDA acceleration will only be used for certain effects and operations,like "scaling". In THOSE cases rendering previews,or, exporting may be speeded up by a factor of TEN TIMES, depending what's on the timeline.

Simple video encoding of a timeline which does NOT contain any CUDA accelerated effects or operations will use the CPU ONLY to encode !!!    In that case, a higher frequency CPU together with more cores will increase performance and shorten times to render previews,or, to export.  You may want to try overclocking the CPU,or, transcoding clips to a more "edit friendly" codec like the free Cineform available at the free "Go Pro Studio" application.

Disabling the SLI configuration may help....Bill would know best how that works,but, again...the GPUs won't come into play unless certain effects,or, operations are being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JFPhoton,

I just deactivated SLI, now the CUDA   rendering works fine. One one hand frustrating, because only one card is used now, but one the other hand I'm just glad at the moment it's working now! So your assumption is correct! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of nVidia driver are you using?

I cannot afford a pair of GTX 1080's so I can not give you facts on that configuration, but I do have a pair of GTX 1060's running (no SLI) beautifully, both contributing performance improvement take a look at my new web site and see the results for your self.  If you see no GPU load (GPU-Z) from your second GPU then you may not be taxing them with a work load.  On my pair of GTX 1060's the second one is not working as hard as the first one.  You would need something like my PPBM test which is specifically designed to stress test the GPU.  Each additional GPU only contributes a small difference in performance.

Yes the current version of PPBM does test anything from CS6 up to Premiere Pro 11.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will do the PPBM test, as soon I have time! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

are there any news on this topic? I have the following problem with the Dual GTX 1080 sli:

I can select CUDA rendering in AE, Premiere and Media Encoder, but when I try to render the countdown doesn't stop to go up.
I tried to render several sequences in H264 (also tested mpeg2) and it slows down the whole PC. I did several testings and yesterday I let the PC render overnight. When I came back after 15 hours the Media Encoder says it needs 71h (???).

My configuration is:
Intel Core i7-6850K | 6x 3.60GHz, 15MB L3-Cache
64GB RAM
2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - SLI | Founders Edition

I deinstalled the Nvidia drivers and installed the newest version (378.78). Also I reinstalled Premiere, Media Encoder and After Effects. Doesn't help...

I never had troubles with my old configuration, so I'm not an expert in doing benchmarks etc.  Is the Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM) also working with newest Premiere Pro Version 2017.0.2.v11.0?

Maybe someone can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having a similar problem, my computer its recognizing the GeForce GTX 960 that I have installed, offering CUDA GUP acceleration, but every time I hit render or play on the queue it gives me an error (I'll Attach an image) Im also experimenting previews that go black when I hit pause on top of them after I worked on lumetri, adjustment layers that will turn every preview under it black on the monitor also and general lag; Im also pretty sure the program its not using any of the GPU.

My system is a Mac OS Sierra

Adobe Premiere pro 2017.0.2

Intel i7 6700K

16 GB RAM

Asus GeForce GTX 960 mini

Error Image: Screenshot 2017-04-12 23.31.31.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Im obsessing over this! I need my workflow running fast again, not on software only!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing you GPU driver and the CUDA driver.  I am not that familiar with Mac's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem.

Processor only loaded

Screenshot_1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines