• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone explain how to remove the black bars in a video?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The letterbox effect has already been place in the video. I want to crop the video to where the letterbox bars are no longer showing, and it's just the video. I want to get rid of these because if not, the motion tiles in After Effects will not work.

. screengrab.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video fits my sequence, but I think you use the "Scale to Fill" option when exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he's saying the bars are burned in.

Josh, my estimate from your image is that you have a "cinematic" aspect ratio of about 2.6:1. You can remove the bars by cropping to the active area and exporting.

It seems to me that all you need to do is to adjust the positioning of the AE elements, and leave, or remove, the black  bars on export.

The problem is that you must know and set up the AE composition, either way, based on the pixel size you will use on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I crop? If I use the crop effect in the effects panel, it does not change anything. I also do not understand the exporting part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Ann ... that image is "squashed" or flattened a bit. Is it supposed to be so?

I want to see the clip properties information ... not the sequence, the clip. Right click on that clip, select "properties", and give us a screen-grab of the information. Then either right-click on the sequence in the Project panel or from the menu bar, Sequence/Settings, and do a screen-grab of that box. I'll be interested to see the pixel aspect ratios.

If that clip isn't showing right, it could be simply that you've got the wrong shape pixels set ... and with correct pixel shape, you might not have the bars top/bottom.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing something like this:

1920x816.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i changed the sequence to 1920 x 816 pixels and it came out too wide. I'll post the current sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, this helps.

delete.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to tell from that screen-grab, which I think is the clip info? I really only needed to see the clip info dialog box, not any part of the general UI. But if that is the clip info, it's 2550x1440? With an aspect ratio of 1?

What's the sequence it was on for that first shot? Frame-size & pixel aspect?

And ... that first view, with bars top/bottom, is that the way that clip appears in say VLC or Potplayer? (Just the clip, outside of PrPro).

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the final product going to be?

2550x1440 is not your average size frame

I am guessing 2550x1096.

But it you want 16:9 you either end up with black bars or the sides cut off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drop it in a timeline that is the same size as the clip without the black bars or crop on export in the export settings.

Hard to tell what the sequence setting should be as you image is squashed.

Guessing if it regular HD: 1920x816.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to change the Height in the Menu / Composition / Composition Settings, and move a visible area inside of, after all. Hint use a "Preview" checkbox, when you'll try to set the dimensions are... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines