Let me address all three questions in sequence.
1) Images with notes created and saved via Photoshop can be imported into Lightroom, and Lightroom will preserve them.
2) You cannot read the notes directly in Lightroom, but if you select the image with stored notes and choose the Edit in Photoshop command, the notes will be visible once the image opens in Photoshop.
3) If you further develop the image with stored notes in Lightroom, and then send the file back to Photoshop, then the notes will not be saved. In other words, the Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments option will not preserve the notes.
My questions are:
1) Can I store images with notes created in PS in Lightroom without losing them?
The notes are preserved.
2) Can I retrieve and read my notes in Lightroom or must I open the image in Photoshop??
No! Lightroom has no way of accessing the note. Therefore, the images must be reopened in Photoshop
3) If I edit my image will the notes be preserved? Are there situations where I might lose them?
If you edit the image in Lightroom then open open it into Photoshop you'll be given 3 options: Edit copy with Lightroom adjustment - notes are lost, Edit copy - Lightroom adjustments are ignored but note is preserved, Edit Original - as Edit copy
Photoshop File Info panel can be used to add metadata notes that Lr can display, but theses notes don't provide anywhere close to the usefulness of Notes proper in Photoshop
Thanks. I guess I can only mark one response as correct. Yours was too!