6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 8:32 AM by Szalam

playback / preview problems

dallyw49824709

I bought a used gtx 970 a few months ago and never had any problems with it until I realized it's causing problems when editing in after effects cs6. It wasn't ram previewing / playing back video properly in my project. It would play video back in half speed (not realtime).My audio was playing back fine it's just video.I had a 750 ti sc before and it never gave me problems in AE. I just put in an older card, GTS 450, because I no longer have the 750 ti, and it started to play back fine for a while and then after re opening the program it started to do the same thing. So I have no idea what could be causing it to do this. I have tried  installing new drivers, re-installing the program, and another card.

• 1. Re: playback / preview problems
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless you are using the ray-traced renderer to create 3d geometry (which is now considered obsolete), the GPU does pretty much nothing in CS6. It certainly doesn't affect render times. Now, if you ARE using the ray-traced renderer to create 3d geometry in CS6, you need to use older cards to accelerate the geometry you're creating. NVIDIA changed the Optix library the ray-traced renderer depends on and CS6 doesn't work with cards in the 900 series or later (even if you manually add your card via the "hack" that most people suggest).

Now, if you're not using the ray-traced renderer, the GPU is likely not the issue, but we can't really begin to help diagnosing what is causing your problem. Read this post for the kind of thing that would be helpful

• 2. Re: playback / preview problems
            dallyw49824709 Level 1

My render times are fine, its just RAM previewing. It plays in 21-24 fps in a 60fps compostion. I removed the card and tried to see if having no video card would work and it did. Only problem is now I can't play games unless I turn my pc off and put it in and install my drivers.

• 3. Re: playback / preview problems
              Draceon Level 1

Go into your user preferences, there is most likely an option in the hardware dialogue to turn off GPU compute, or something like that. However, I do admit this is quite strange, I don't see why having no GPU would faster than having one, or more. I have had no problems with my GTX 480 which I had up until January and the GTX 1070 I've upgraded to.

• 4. Re: playback / preview problems

It's weird that no GPU works better than having a GPU. What operating system are you using?

• 5. Re: playback / preview problems
                  dallyw49824709 Level 1

UPDATE: New processor, RAM upgrade, and motherboard upgrade. Problem still occurring. Ram previewing is faster (due to new and more ram) BUT, playing back the ram preview is still not in realtime.

Specs:
                  i5 4690k
                  EVGA GTX 970
                  16GB HYPERX FURYX 1600MHz DDR3
                  MSI H81-I MOTHERBOARD
                  WINDOWS 7 PRO

• 6. Re: playback / preview problems

What, exact, version of AE are you using?