6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 7:26 PM by TheOriginal150mph

Photoshop 3D type + skin questions

TheOriginal150mph Level 1

New to PS 3D - experimenting with this art using an extrusion pre-select and can't fine tune it like i want.

How to perspective-ize the type to match the lines? (attached jpg) I dont want the type to "lean back" more.. just to manually distort it.

How to adjust the 3 bevel edge "frame" surrounding each letter to be smaller / thinner / less deep ?

How to add fill color (or photo, eg the sky) into black/dark shadows beneath letters. Tried with Property/Materials Diffuse, Specular, Illlumination, Ambient - none let me change color. I added a photo via Diffuse but PS stretches it around the shadow areas until it looks like a bunch of lines - like the rings of Saturn. How to make it appear unstretched? (for a reflecting the sky effect)

Dont' know if you'll be able to see on the forum, but the windows in the text are all blurry even though the window jpg isn't. I tried a dozen jpg sizes to make the windows fit but struggled to change the scale of the windows once they're added into the model. Eg, I made a much smaller windows image to tile at first and couldn't make it work.

I'm probably not being as descriptive as I hope.. LMK if I can clarify anything.

Thanks in advance!

trump_rendered_a.jpgwindows_image.jpg

• 1. Re: Photoshop 3D type + skin questions
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can attempt to match the camera in the vanishing point filter. Otherwise do it manually by moving, rotating and zooming the camera. You can apply separate materials on the 3D panel just as you can tweak the bevel. The stripes are just the texture scaling within the object's UV texture mapping coordinates. Texture filtering is normal and in 3D terms your texture is very low resolution. This wouldn't have stood a chance 20 years ago on a shoddy NTSC video. None of what you see is unusual nor are they unmanagable issues, it's just your lack of any 3D knowledge and understanding. Even the color issues sound like you are not pushing the right knobs, but your descriptions don't really sound 3D-ish and I always struggle understanding people not using common terminology As any 3D artist would.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Photoshop 3D type + skin questions
            davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

I'll try and answer your questions as simply as possible:

How to perspective-ize the type to match the lines? (attached jpg) I dont want the type to "lean back" more.. just to manually distort it.

You don't manually alter the model to do that - instead you adjust the camera viewpoint and lens focal length so that the letters match the perspective on your building image. The focal length is in the camera properties panel. Note - you can also use the vanishing point filter on your background image to set the 3D viewpoint.

How to adjust the 3 bevel edge "frame" surrounding each letter to be smaller / thinner / less deep ?

Set the bevel size in the properties panel for the model

How to add fill color (or photo, eg the sky) into black/dark shadows beneath letters. Tried with Property/Materials Diffuse, Specular, Illlumination, Ambient - none let me change color. I added a photo via Diffuse but PS stretches it around the shadow areas until it looks like a bunch of lines - like the rings of Saturn. How to make it appear unstretched? (for a reflecting the sky effect)

Click on the extrusion material - then on the folder next to the Diffuse Material and choose New Texture - or Edit Texture. This will open up the texture which you can colour or add an image layer. You use the UV guides - which show how the model is unfolded as a guide for placing the image.

Dont' know if you'll be able to see on the forum, but the windows in the text are all blurry even though the window jpg isn't. I tried a dozen jpg sizes to make the windows fit but struggled to change the scale of the windows once they're added into the model. Eg, I made a much smaller windows image to tile at first and couldn't make it work.

What you are seeing is just the effect of a texture being stretched on the model.  Go to the front inflation material and in properties click on the folder next to the Diffuse material and edit texture. You will see how your image is used on each letter. You can tile the image to make it fit better you can also increase the resolution - starting with a higher resolution image. As standard the texture a 1024x1024 square on which your image is placed. You can increase that - although I find it works best if going up in multiples of 2 (e.g. 1024 x 1024 or 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 etc  .

Hope that helps you

Dave

• 4. Re: Photoshop 3D type + skin questions

Thanks all, for taking the time to try to help me learn. This is the first 3D art I've made in Photoshop. Doing some Lynda.com tutes too.

Davescm your grasp of my beginning level of understanding how 3D works and answers needed is appreciated.

Matching perspective

Yes I thought distorting the model might be the process for more perspective, so still struggling with the camera controls. Will take time I guess. I changed it around, tried a custom perspective grid, but it got a little warped and is out of plumb/not perfectly centered and I'm stuck.

I've uploaded a simplified .psd and the 2 images used should anyone be kind enough to fix it or see exactly where I'm going off -  (28MB zip, no fishy stuff, promise) WeTransfer https://we.tl/9Ymglq9hiL . LMK if there's a better way to share.

Bevel size

Great, that was easy!

Shadow texture

Still struggling. I can add the sky image I made, but not able to get a reflecting sky effect.

Trying to make the shadow area solid red - just to see what's happening - I can't make that happen. Do you have to alter all 4 (Diffuse, Specular, Illumination & Ambient) to see changes? Or maybe you have to render it first?

Front inflation material (bldg. windows)

I think I've been somewhat successful here. Making the 1024x1024 jpg got me on the right track. Ideally the windows would fit into each letter more realistically. I don't suppose there's a simple way to do that? (just the "T" windows look badly off.).

I'll have to learn about high-res image textures. This is just a 72dpi beginning art.

Originally I made that windows.jpg tall so it would fit the letters at 100% so not understanding why default settings would stretch it like that.

• 5. Re: Photoshop 3D type + skin questions
                davescm Adobe Community Professional

Shadow texture

Still struggling. I can add the sky image I made, but not able to get a reflecting sky effect.

Trying to make the shadow area solid red - just to see what's happening - I can't make that happen. Do you have to alter all 4 (Diffuse, Specular, Illumination & Ambient) to see changes? Or maybe you have to render it first?

You only need to alter the diffuse area. What you are changing is the extrusion material. It is not a shadow as such (i.e. it is not a shadow cast by the 3D model), but it is a texture that is not receiving much light. You may need to add an extra light with low intensity (positioned low down) so that you can see the colour that you have added.

Front inflation material (bldg. windows)

....... Ideally the windows would fit into each letter more realistically. I don't suppose there's a simple way to do that? (just the "T" windows look badly off.).

You add the texture image as a new layer over the UV.  You could make each letter a separate 3D extrusion - which will make it easier to position the texture against the UV for each individual letter.  This will give you separate 3D layers (one for each letter) but you can then use menu "3D - Merge 3D layers" to put all letters in the same space. Then position them one above the other and finally highlight each object and use menu "3D - Group Objects". This will allow you to move them as if they were a single object.

Hope that helps

Dave

Note : I clicked on the link you gave - but it was asking me to sign up so I went no further

• 6. Re: Photoshop 3D type + skin questions

ok thanks will try this. I have a lot to learn. Pretty amazing that Photoshop has such extensive 3D capabilities.

btw.. My link above asks just to click "I agree"  & then goes immediately to the download. No signup required.