9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 6:43 AM by Dov Isaacs

Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC

alecb16443266

I have created a document using Tablet Gothic Compressed in Microsoft Word – this is a template for a client’s internal use.

The document is perfect on my Mac but when opened on the client’s PC it does not pick up the fonts.

I have logged into their Creative Cloud App and synced fonts to the actual PC (not just the Typeset account).

To note: If I change the font from Tablet Gothic Compressed Extra Bold to Tablet Gothic Compressed Extra Bold it works correctly – i.e. if I re select the font. To do this would be a massive pain as all 10 templates have ben created on Mac.

The font is the same on Mac and PC but it doesn’t work – any answers please?

• 3. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC
          Liz, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble with this.  It sounds like a difference between how OS X and Windows handle the font weights, but I'd like to check on this sentence to be certain:

> To note: If I change the font from Tablet Gothic Compressed Extra Bold to Tablet Gothic Compressed Extra Bold it works correctly

The font weight is the same there; could you send the one that worked? That is: "If I change the font from Tablet Gothic Compressed Extra Bold to Tablet Gothic Compressed [what?]"

Thanks!

-- liz

• 4. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC
            alecb16443266 Level 1

Hi Liz

Essentially I have to respecify ever instance where the font is used to make the document pick up the fonts.

I should be able to open it on PC or Mac and it pick up the fonts as they are Typeset Fonts picked from Creative Cloud and synced on both machines in the same way.

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of the problem because if I have to recreate the documents on PC I will lose hours of time and money.

Best Regards

Alec Butler

(Partner)

TONIC FUSION LLP

Oak Court Business Centre

Sandridge Park

Porters Wood

St Albans

Hertfordshire

AL3 6PH

Web: www.tonicfusion.com <http://www.tonicfusion.com/>

E-mail: alec@tonicfusion.com <mailto:alec@tonicfusion.com>

Phone (Main): 01727 810254

Phone (Mobile): 07718 579961

Fax: 01727 810257

CAUTION: This e-mail is sent from Tonic Fusion LLP of Oak Court Business Centre, Sandridge Park, Porters Wood, St Albans, Hertfordshire  AL3 6PH. The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended for use only of the addressee. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying of this e-mail, and any use or disclosure of information contained in it, is strictly prohibited. Please let us know by telephone on (01727) 810254 if this e-mail has been sent to you in error and delete it together with any backups on your system. The opinions, statements and thoughts expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and not necessarily Tonic Fusion LLP or any associated personnel.

• 5. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC

Thanks for your reply, Alec; I see what I misunderstood in your earlier email about changing the font weight.  We're doing some testing to see what's going on, and will update the thread here as soon as we know more.

-- liz

• 6. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC

Hi Alec,

Thanks for waiting while I spoke with the team about this. The problem is that Word is using different font names for Tablet Gothic Compressed on OS X vs Windows: "Tablet Gothic Compressed Eb" on Windows and "Tablet Gothic Compressed" on OS X.

comparison.png

Since the two names aren't exactly the same in the files, the software can't apply the fonts automatically when the file is opened on the opposite platform.

It's not something we can change from the Typekit side, unfortunately, as it is due to how the software program itself refers to the font. We are going to reach out to a contact at Microsoft, though, and see if this is behavior is expected.

Would you please let us know the version of Office and version of Windows where you're seeing the issue, if you have them at hand?

Thanks for your help,

-- liz

[edited post to correct misspelled font family name]

• 7. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC

One of my colleagues has confirmed that he sees the same issue with other fonts, so it's not specific to Tablet Gothic Compressed [Extra Bold].  Again, he is going to escalate this to the Office team at Microsoft and we'll update the forum thread with anything new we learn from them.

Best,

-- liz

• 8. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC
                    alecb16443266 Level 1

Thank you for the update Liz.

The problems that have come to light are very frustrating and this could cause us to lose upwards of £1500 in time / man hours.

Is this the first time that this issue has been raised?

I do however appreciate the communication with yourself and escalation of the issue to Microsoft.

Best Regards

Alec Butler

(Partner)

[Personal info removed by moderator]

• 9. Re: Typekit Font Problems Between Mac and PC
                      Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

FWIW, this type (pun intended) of problem has been with us for over 25 years! And it isn't limited to Mac versus Windows! You can see similar issues when trying to go between Microsoft Office applications on Windows and graphic arts software (including Adobe Creative Cloud, Quark, and Corel products).

- Dov