• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i view the size of the page in mb before PDF?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am making a large presentation in indesign at work and need to find why pages in particular are causing the exported PDF to be so huge. Is there a script that can run through the document and estimate the size of the individual pages in MB so i can go to said page(s) and sort them out?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge? Please define that.

That said, there is no way to figure out how large a PDF file you’ll get when exporting to PDF without doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

150mb for a 30 page a4 presentation. all images are 72 dpi.

i'm not so fussed about finding out the exact size before the PDF is done, more I want to see which pages are heavier in terms of what is on them. Does that make sense?

eg.

Like if a have 29 pages of outlined text and then 1 page that that has 200 psd's at 300dpi on - is there a dialog that will tell me that this one page is going to cause the file to be big?

what i'm looking for is like a traffic light system or something for each page. it would be helpful as we work across server so things that end up on documents have come from multiple places so an identifier of large files within the document before it is exported would save me/us time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you exporting the PDF? The export choices have a direct impact on the size of the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interactive 150 ppi, medium  jpeg compression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are no tools to analyse the "size of individual pages". It isn't even really a thing, because pages share a lot of information.

You can start by using File > Save as Other > PDF Optimized. DON'T SAVE. Click the Audit Space Usage button and it will tell you what is using all the space.  If after that you want some sense of which parts of the file contribute the most, you can make PDFs with a subset of the pages and compare sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines