• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to promote a folder in the hierarchy in Lr6.6?

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am stumped. I accidentally imported many photos as a subfolder rather than a folder. I want to promote the subfolder to a folder in the hierarchy.  The Subfolder is "SF" and the Lr hierarchy is now LightroomPhotos>portraits>SF, when it should be LightroomPhotos>SF.  In other words SF should not be a subfolder of "portraits".  I am missing something. When I right-click SF I see the rename option, but it doesn't give me the path/hierarchy to adjust.

I am using a Macbook with OS X El Capitan.

Many thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Use Finder to drag SF into LightroomPhotos (a copy will be created)

In the LR Library Folders Panel right-click (control-click) on SF and choose update folder location – then navigate to LightroomPhotos and choose  SF

Lightroom will update the new folder links.

You then use finder to go to Portraits and delete the original SF

N.B. If the folder does not contain a large number of images you can simply drag and drop within the LR Folders Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Finder to drag SF into LightroomPhotos (a copy will be created)

In the LR Library Folders Panel right-click (control-click) on SF and choose update folder location – then navigate to LightroomPhotos and choose  SF

Lightroom will update the new folder links.

You then use finder to go to Portraits and delete the original SF

N.B. If the folder does not contain a large number of images you can simply drag and drop within the LR Folders Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be some way to do this entirely within Lr.  I have created a folder called SF in the parent LightroomPhotos, but when I drag the subfolder SF from portraits to the new SF, I do not get a merge option? Help, please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, you can do the moving of the folder from inside the Folders panel of the Library module by dragging the folder to its new parent folder.

In practice, things go wrong many times when LR tries to move large numbers of files/folders. It is best to do the folder moving using the OS tools (Finder or Explorer) then "relocate" the "missing" folder inside of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way is to use Finder to move the folder to where you want it, then update the folder location in the Lightroom. Speaking from experience, it's really easy to lose a folder trying to do it from within Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines