10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 4:08 PM by BarbBinder

Strange floating menu bar won't go away

sakurama Level 1

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 4.27.52 PM.png

This strange floating menu bar has been haunting me for a few years - ever since i updated to cloud. I can't open it or make it go away. I can make it shorter - that's all. I don't know what it's from and it's followed me onto a new laptop. I generally just try to hide it somewhere it's not in the way but it's really annoying. Almost like trying to contact Adobe - I'm sure it's possible but the answer is hidden away and near impossible to find.

What is it? How do I get rid of it?

I've had a few very savvy digital techs that couldn't make sense of it. I've given up.

Thanks,

Gregor

• 1. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

I can make it shorter - that's all.

Can you make it taller so that we can see what it is?

• 2. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It looks like the bottom of a window from another app showing from behind Photoshop, or a collapsed panel hidden behind the Layers panel. Maximising the Photoshop window would fix the first, and resetting the workspace the second.  Most panels will not collapse as flat as that, so possibly a third party add-on or Extension.

If those ideas don't help, then I am stuck for the moment.  What hardware is this? 

• 3. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away
              sakurama Level 1

Sorry, work slammed me.

No, I can't make it taller - if I could I could read it and perhaps access the button to close it. It's certainly part of Photoshop as it disappears with the pallets when you click on the desktop and it reappears when you click on photoshop. I have reset the workspace and created new workspaces. It's in all of them. If I go down the drop down from the Window and turn off every single palette it's still there. It was there in CS5, there in CS6 and there in CC15 and CC16. It's been there when I had a tower and through three laptops.

It's persistence is creepy. You can see how I've dealt with it over the years by the multiple workspaces I've created. It's usually there, minimized and off in the corner so I it won't bug me. I've asked a dozen assistants and digital techs and they can't figure it out. The fact that it persists through multiple upgrades is strange.

GregorScreen Shot 2017-02-24 at 11.22.29 AM.png

• 4. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away

So strange. Is there an extension running, or some sort of plug-in?

• 5. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away
                  sakurama Level 1

The only one I'm running is Portraiture by Imagenomic. Not sure if there's a way to turn it off.

One thing I did notice is that I can't find it when I activate the default Adobe "photography" workspace. I suppose I could delete all my workspaces - most are variations on a double screen layout - and then start from scratch with that and save a new space. Haven't tried that but that might be worth trying.

Gregor

• 6. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away

Hmmm. I don't know Portraiture but I do know Photoshop. I've used all the versions you have listed, and taught lots of folks on those versions (Mac and Windows) and never see that bar. The fact that it keeps appearing after upgrades makes me suspect the plugin-in and not your workspaces.

But just to confirm, try:

• Window > Workspace > Essentials
                    • Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials

Is it still there?

Here's the support page for Imagenomic. I would check with them, just to rule it out.

Submit a ticket - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

It would be very helpful if you could come back and let us know if you find out it is related to the plug-in.

• 7. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away
                      sakurama Level 1

Tried resetting the Essentials - nope. Still there.

I'll try Imagenomic.

Gregor

• 8. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away

I'm very curious to hear what they have to say.

• 9. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away
                          sakurama Level 1

So they helped fix it but it had nothing to do with them or their plug in.

Gregor,

Our plugins don't even exist in memory while Photoshop is in an active state.

Our plugins have to be called by Photoshop and we don't generate any type of floating menus or toolbars as our plugins are windowed apps.

I'd suggest you delete your Photoshop preferences on your next Photoshop load and/or update your video drivers.

Also, if your mac has a discrete/integrated video card combo this has been known to cause graphics issues like yours.

This Apple KB goes into how it works:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202053

I use this small app on my MBP's from time to time to manually switch from integrated to discrete:

https://gfx.io/

Regards,

George

It was the deleting photoshop's preferences that seems to have done the trick. It had the fringe benefit of resetting the palettes to a nice dark gray which I must have forgotten was possible.

So there you go - a mystery for the ages solved.

Gregor

PS: In case this ever comes up again...

Resetting Photoshop's Preferences (All Versions)

To reset Photoshop's preferences using the first method (which works with all versions of Photoshop), the first thing we need to do is quit Photoshop. To do that, on a Windows PC, go up to the File menu in the Menu Bar along the top of the screen and choose Exit. On a Mac, go up to the Photoshop menu in the Menu Bar and choose Quit Photoshop:

Quitting Photoshop. Image © 2016 Photoshop Essentials.com

Go to File > Exit (Win) / Photoshop > Quit Photoshop (Mac).

Then, with Photoshop closed, press and hold Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Win) / Shift+Command+Option (Mac) on your keyboard and relaunch Photoshop the way you normally would. Just before Photoshop opens, a message will pop up asking if you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file (which is your Preferences file). Choose Yes. Photoshop will then open with all of your preferences restored to their default settings:

Choose Yes when asked if you want to delete the Photoshop Settings file. Image © 2016 Photoshop Essentials.com

Choose Yes when asked if you want to delete the Settings file.

• 10. Re: Strange floating menu bar won't go away

Wow. First of all, thanks for coming back to let us know, Gregor. Preferences can become corrupt and we do recommend trashing them when an application is flakey. Corrupt preferences does not make sense when you say this, though:

It was there in CS5, there in CS6 and there in CC15 and CC16. It's been there when I had a tower and through three laptops.

I can't imagine how the preferences file on 4 separate versions and three different computers did the same exact same yet unique-to-you thing.

But, all that musing aside, yay! I'm so glad it's gone. Happy weekend to you.