• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an easy way to turn a color into a gradient?

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a picture I drew and colored using Photoshop. I want to add more color to it, but I can't yet afford a drawing wand, and it's extremely tedious and difficult making those changes using a mouse. So I'm hoping there's a way I can select that color, and apply a gradient to that color in each area it exists. Is this at all possible, or just wishful thinking? I'm using CS4, if it matters much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Hi

A mask sits alongside a layer and where the mask is white the layer is visible and where it is black the layer is transparent, allowing the layer(s) below to show through. Grey is semi- transparent.

If you have a selection made and add a new layer using for example Layer - New Fill Layer - Solid Colour, then a mask will automatically be added to the new fill layer, showing the area you selected and allow the layers below to show through where you had not selected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If I've picked up correctly what you are trying to achieve, then you could use Select - Color range to make a selection of the colour you want to change.

Then create a new solid color or gradient fill layer masked to show the selection you made in the step above.

Repeat for other colours you want to change

The advantage of doing this with new fill/gradient layers and masks is that none of it is destructive - you can change it all later

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Dave. How do I make the mask  you mentioned though? I've never worked with such a thing. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A mask sits alongside a layer and where the mask is white the layer is visible and where it is black the layer is transparent, allowing the layer(s) below to show through. Grey is semi- transparent.

If you have a selection made and add a new layer using for example Layer - New Fill Layer - Solid Colour, then a mask will automatically be added to the new fill layer, showing the area you selected and allow the layers below to show through where you had not selected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You getting great advice from Dave, but I wonder if we might be able to better home in on what you want to achieve, if you showed us a screen shot.  Right click the image and copy it. Then paste to this thread with Ctrl v.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines