• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with InDesign file not uploading with text wraps in fixed layout ePUB for Blurb

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 100+ page book I designed for print with InDesign for a client. It is fairly photo intensive with text wraps. My client wants to convert the book to eBook formats to sell via Blurb. Blurb has an InDesign plugin that takes the file for uploading for either print or eBook. The process takes a long time to convert the 100+ page with photos to the upload and convert stage for a fixed layout ePUB file. All text wraps are not present after the conversion. Blurb is not helpful at all with this issue. Does anyone have any suggestion on what might be happening with the text wrapping? Also, I would appreciate some suggestions on self publishing houses for eBooks other than Blurb.

InDesign CC 2017 on a Mac using 10.11.6

Thanks! JDaghri

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you create a FXL ePub directly from InDesign?

By the way, it might be worth experimenting reducing the size of the images for the ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response! When I export a fixed layout ePUB directly from ID, it's perfect. Text wraps and all. And it is super fast. The hurdle is that Blurb requires the use of their ID plugin for uploading for both print and eBook. This plugin is doing the conversion process and that is where my frustration lies. Blurb's tech support isn't forthcoming with a solution. I have not tried to reduce the image sizes yet. That might help. My thought is that it is some sort of coding issue that makes all the images floating images with text running behind the images in the ePUB. I don't have access to the code on Blurb's side. Just trying to have a tech savvy idea to give to Blurb to help get my book to convert correctly on their end. I also have two other books to convert that are much more graphic intensive than this book. I need a viable solution for my client's book to eBook request.

After a huge amount of time lost in trying to work with Blurb's less than technical support, I would very much appreciate eBook publisher suggestions other than Blurb. It looks like BookBaby also has their own conversion process and CreateSpace does as well. Are there any publishers that will take an ID exported ePUB directly from upload to their publishing site?

Thanks! Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried iBooks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Derek Cross's note about reducing the size of photos for ebooks...

What is the ideal size and format for ebook? JPG? PNG?

I'm setting up as 6x9 for future print version - is this possible or should I separately format the book for ebook and another for print?

In the ebook, I'm thinking I would like the reader to be able to zoom into a map - where can I find directions on setting that up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which format do you want for your “eBook”?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EPUB fixed for iBook and the like, then a Kindle version, and last print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my client does not want to use iBooks. Something about the percentages aren't favorable. We are looking at CreateSpace with Amazon. Do you have good experience with them taking an ID exported FXL ePUB? I'm rather new at the eBook field since I'm primarily a print designer. I appreciate any experience with exporting and uploading for fixed layout ePUBs.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with CreateSpace for anything other than print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This online video tutorial will tell all: Creating Fixed-Layout EPUBs with InDesign CC

You can get a 10-day free trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, I was listening to a podcast that featured her and ePUBs. I will certainly take a look at the tutorial and see if it helps me get down the path towards a successful ebook. Blurb's tech support has pretty much stopped responding to my questions so I'm guessing they are realizing they are not on top of the latest trend that ID has allowed designers to export so easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines