4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2017 11:54 AM by susannad7725975

Jittery movement when dragging with mouse (New 2016 MacBook Pro 15" TouchBar)

kelvinrock

Hey guys

Has anyone else been experiencing sluggishness/jitters when using After Effects CC on the new 2016 MBP 15"? For me, even dragging an icon results in the the mouse cursor moving first and then the icon following after a second. Motion just staggers. I've been watching tutorials online with other users using After Effects but they seem to be running buttery smooth for them. I'm having the same problem with Alchemy in Logic Pro X. I did call Apple Support and they did admit it was a software problem on Apple's side after recreating the problem on a similar laptop. I was told that all I can do is just wait. However, I'm starting to think that this sluggishness/jitters is not exclusive to Logic Pro X, it's also apparent in the Adobe Apps too. This is worrying me

I've run these programs side by side with my Early 2011 MacBook Pro running the same MacOS Sierra and all the programs (native to apple or third party) work fine.

Apple's Logic Pro expert told me that Logic Pro X is not optimized for the new 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar but it's a little hard to digest after spending quite a lot on the new MacBook only to find out that my 2011 model works better.

To recreate the problem, all I have to do is just draw a shape and then try to drag that shape layer. The shape will move in a jittery manner with the mouse cursor leading ahead first, then followed later by the shape. There is just 1 layer mind you. I'm currently running on After Effects CC. Puppeting seems to heat the MacBook up and get the fans running too. But I don't think these are complex processes.

I apologise in advance if this may seem like a complaint. I still love my MacBook though and wonder if anyone else here is experiencing the same issues. My specs are listed below:

2016 MacBook Pro 15" TouchBar

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz ( best processor available)

512GB PCIe-based SSD

Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

After Effects CC 14.1

• 1. Re: Jittery movement when dragging with mouse (New 2016 MacBook Pro 15" TouchBar)
          jasontcox Adobe Community Professional

Hmmmm I was GOING to say the cause was the fact that sadly, the Radeon Pro 460 isn't technically listed as one of the officially supported (i.e. tested) GPUs for After Effects. BUT I have the 2016 touchbar MBP as well with the 460 and 4GB of memory and I just tried out a shape layer and dragging it around and it worked fine, no lag with the mouse or shape. I also toggled between the three Renderer modes as well to test that scenario. All three worked. There must be another variable.

Can you think of any other switches you have on that COULD impact/alter playback? Motion blur? Quality and sampling switch? Frame blending? 3d Layer? Anything else you've altered about the Comp settings? Even if we determine what it is, it's STILL an annoying issue you're having, I just want to find the variable!

• 2. Re: Jittery movement when dragging with mouse (New 2016 MacBook Pro 15" TouchBar)
            kelvinrock Level 1

Hi Jason. Thanks for testing this out. The issue is extremely noticeable when I'm Rigging layers imported from illustrator. However, when I RAM preview them, the animations are smooth. However, dragging controllers and stuff causes so much lag. It's quite noticeable especially when I make comparisons to other users movements on youtube.

For Rigging, I have the DuikIK script running.

If I were to click on any icon on my dock and drag it around, the icon would follow my cursor and never once have I seen the cursor move ahead of the icon to later have the icon follow it. In After Effects though, the lag is noticeable. Is the same for you? I could be paranoid here because of my experience with Logic Pro X

• 3. Re: Jittery movement when dragging with mouse (New 2016 MacBook Pro 15" TouchBar)
              jasontcox Adobe Community Professional

Hmph, interesting. I mean, I only did a quick sample test with a shape layer. But it's interesting that you're experiencing this in two different apps. Almost definitely points to a GPU conflict. Might have to wait for another driver update via an OS update and hope for the best.... :/

• 4. Re: Jittery movement when dragging with mouse (New 2016 MacBook Pro 15" TouchBar)
                susannad7725975

I have a similar issue.  Brand new Macbook Pro 2.9GHz intel core i7, 16 gig mem, Graphics 530, Sierra macOS.  I transferred all my old stuff from my 2007 MacBook Pro, and I thought it may have created the problem.

Any time I open photoshop, I cannot use the mouse pad.  I actually went back to my old Photoshop the was part of Adobe CS3.  Seems to have issues with the onlline version only.