• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Numbers in an inDesign Book

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to fight my way through a new problem set that I seem to have created for myself.

I created my book in horizontal, spread-paired pages for effient preview, and now have to convert to single pages.

When I did so I found that the process of converting from spreads to single pages did a ‘number’ on my page numbers: now each page number, odd as well as even, is on the same (left) side of every page. I’m assuming that I will now have to fix this by revising odd-page masters to have page numbers on the right-hand sides of the respective pages.

In addition, front matter page numbers have been reassigned. I feel like I have lost control of page numbers. Front matter has page numbers, which are unintended, and werenot present before converting from spreads to single pages. When I try to assign a page-number-free master to one of those pages, I'm informed of a conflict because (after conversion from spreads) more than one page now has that number. Same thing when I try to delete one of those two, leading pages in book.

Next step will be to try inserting several new (unnumbered) pages after the 'problem' pair, to see if I can resolve the above numbering issue in that way, and then delete the 'offending' pair.

In the meantime, your further comments are welcome, as always

With thanks in advance,

jwc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Jack  wrote

Trying to fight my way through a new problem set that I seem to have created for myself.

I created my book in horizontal, spread-paired pages for effient preview, and now have to convert to single pages.

The correct way to do a book is in spreads. Always.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear on why you could not have left your layout as spreads. When you output to PDF, your paired pages will be output as singles (unless you choose otherwise).

If you need inside bleed (not usual for most - only needed for loose-leaf or wire-O printing), there are methods for achieving this without losing your layout.

https://indesignsecrets.com/breaking-pages-apart-to-bleed-off-a-spine.php

The un-numbered front pages are easily handled by changing the numbering style of those pages.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 15.02.49.png

If this doesn't answer your issues, please post more detail as to what is going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first two pages in the book WERE un-numbered, but converting from spreads to single pages caused automatic reassignment of those page numbers, so that there are now two pages marked “1” and ”2”. I would like to make the first two unnumbered as they were prior to conversion from spread format, or do delete them and start over. When I try to apply master to them or to delete them, inDesign throws an error stating that more than one page has that number.

I’m wondering if I need to refine the spread version prior to converting (?). Or maybe revise the masters to to convert away from spreads? Maybe that will work better?

jwc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to SJRiegel's post. WHY do you want to tear up your layout. There is no good reason except for some very esoteric situations that warrant it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I did go back, reread his posting tried his suggestion, and yes, it worked.

Many thanks,

jwc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack  wrote

I would like to make the first two unnumbered as they were prior to conversion from spread format,

jwc

Look in your Pages panel, and post a screen shot if you need to. If you try to use the exact same page number twice, InDesign will scream.

To get the unnumbered pages for the first two pages:

1. assign the none master or another master without numbering

2. in Numbering and Section Options, assign i, ii, ii, iv to those two pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jack  wrote

The correct way to do a book is in spreads. Always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines