• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient in linked .ai file not displaying correctly in Indesign

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've linked an .ai file to my Indesign document. The Illustrator file has a gradient in it and displays correctly, like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.37.00.png

However, in Indesign it appears like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.37.05.png

How can I fix this so it displays correctly? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Yes, very strange. I am running out of guesses. What happens when you make a new similar Illy file with freshly built gradient and put it into a new Indy file? And put it now also into the same old Indy file?

BTW, is every app patched up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to ensure the color model of the ai and indd file are the same? Are you running the document at High Quality in preferences (or by right-clicking the graphic and choosing High Quality Display)? Are you avoiding EPS files in favor of native .AI or .PDF files for placement into InDesign?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By colour model, do you mean RGB or CMYK? If so, they're both in RGB.

The screengrab was taken in high quality mode. I did mention that the file is an .ai.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Overprint Preview off or on?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's off. Nothing ticked in the Attributes palette either.

The gradient was just built by using the gradient palette - dragging a purple swatch to the black slider and a blue swatch to the white slider. Then I saved the new gradient swatch and applied it to my various shapes, some with the gradient rotated and some shapes then made semi transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Illustrator file, how exactly are you building the gradient? Is anything set to Overprint in the Attributes panel of Illy?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you remove the semi-transparency?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, it doesn't make any difference... Interestingly an exported PDF behaves the same, but an exported png behaves correctly. And the thumbnail preview within Finder on my desktop also displays incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only leaves Export to IDML as a comparison test. I would re-save-as the .AI file, just for good measure.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

presumably you mean exporting my main indesign file?

OK, have tried that - no difference.

crazy right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very strange. I am running out of guesses. What happens when you make a new similar Illy file with freshly built gradient and put it into a new Indy file? And put it now also into the same old Indy file?

BTW, is every app patched up to date?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't believe this - I created the file in the exact same way from scratch, and it's fine!

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 16.28.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines