• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Windows open cropped covering options

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest AE (14.1.0.57) opens tracker and preview windows cropped, covering most of the buttons even though the window itself is big enough to accommodate it. No matter how many times I resize it the window defaults to cropped.

Using MBP 2015 and latest OSX.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.16.11.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.16.02.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you resize the windows to your liking, you can save your workspace and it should stay the way you want it.

That being said, I think you have them set up as stacked panels in your screenshots. Try making them undocked and unstacked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows are undocked and unstacked.

I have the workspace saved, makes no difference.

it literally happens every opening of the window. So go window>tracker and resize the window then close it, upon reopen it's the original size again (cut in half) missing most of the interface.

I keep them closed and open them as I need, closing after use to save screen space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grab the bottom and drag. The next time you open the panel it should remember where it was last time you used it. Not difficult.

I would strongly suggest that you set up your workspaces and get used to using them. I have 6 that I use all the time. Everything organized exactly as I need it and available with a couple of clicks. It's a great time saver.

If that doesn't work let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grab the bottom and drag. The next time you open the panel it should remember where it was last time you used it. Not difficult.

Thanks for your strong suggestion and generally condescending answer.  The point of this thread is AE does not remember the size of the window last time I used it.

As previously mentioned I have a saved workspace that I use. My system is to keep all windows closed and open them as needed to save screen space.

The problem is every-time I reopen the window it needs resizing once more with most of the interface hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Rick meant that, rather than opening panels when you need them, switch workspaces when you need certain panels. For example, when you need the motion tracking panel, you are likely to not need the Effects & Presets panel and several others. So you can just build a workspace with all of the panels you need for the task at hand and that might work better than opening and closing windows. AE even ships with a few dedicated workspaces (including one for motion tracking) that will probably be ideal. You can reorder the workspaces AE shows at the top and even pick which workspaces AE displays at all vs. tucking them away behind a pancake menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. My interest here is to establish if there is a bug that needs fixing and bring it to adobe's attention rather than create a workaround as I have been using a few for months. Please try it and see if your AE does the same.

'Un-dock and Un-nest the tracker window. Then close it and reopen and see what happens. I'd like to know if you get the same.

I'm aware of adobes pre built workspaces however choose not to have any menus on the right of the screen - so i can maximise screen space.

So when I need to motion track I open the motion track window.... Simple.

Problem is as mentioned, every time I do this the 'blue outlined' area of the window is bizarrely resized to obscure half of the interface whilst the actual box is plenty large enough to accommodate it in full. Every time i have to resize it.

I've had this issue since updating to AE 2017, I've been using AE in this way for 10+ years. It must be a bug as I've even tried a clean instal to fix this and use multiple machines.

TRY IT. Let me know if you find the same rather than giving me workflow tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 of my 6 commonly used workspaces are custom... No wasted space.

I can confirm that if you undock some panels and then open them using Menu>Window>The panel name, that they do not remember the last panel size. However, this is exactly the same behavior that you see in 15.3. I've never noticed it because since it was possible to create and save workspaces I never work with undocked panels. If it is a bug I don't have an earlier version of AE available to check on the machine I have at home. I'll give it a try tomorrow at the office. I think it may have been programed that way for a long time.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 7.42.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, so we agree it's a bug. Do you guys work for Abode? can you point this out to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boris2016  wrote

Great, so we agree it's a bug.

I would expect it to work the way you expect as well. Since it does not, I think it counts as a bug. I've never noticed it myself because I, like Rick, don't use undocked panels floating around. I have my efficient workspaces set up so I can just work fast.

Boris2016  wrote

Do you guys work for Abode?

No, we do not work for Adobe; we are users like you.

Boris2016  wrote

can you point this out to them?

Technically we could do it, but you can do it too! See this link.

Every bug report from that page goes in front of one of the members of the AE team at Adobe. So your report will go right to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I went to the link and notified Adobe of the bug. It's always nice to help out a multinational software company by using your time to fill out a poorly designed web form to which they will not respond.

Just to explain, when tracking you don't need any other windows so I hide them all to fill the screen with the footage, having the tracker window un-docked means it remains on screen whilst others disappear. It also allows you to move it out of the way depending on which way the footage being tracked is moving. Lastly the window automatically opens when you select motion tracking so you don't need to go to the menu>window>tracker. It requires not key pressing at all - There is no way this could be more efficient. There is also not point having the window open when your not tracking.

A problem I often come up against on forums is people telling my 'I'm wrong to do something' rather than trying to replicate the problem and seeing if they get the same. As I'm sure you are aware lots of different people use Adobe products in lots of different ways to achieve lots of different outcomes. To assume you know the correct way can be helpful for beginners but can also be unhelpful to somebody who just wants to establish if something is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to imply that my way was "the right one". I know there are lots of people with lots of different ways of working! I was just suggesting one way that might work for you. I certainly understand not liking Adobe's pre-built workspaces, but you might consider building some of your own that do fit how you like to work to work around this until/if the bug gets fixed.

For what it's worth, I have very different workspaces and ways of working at my full-time job office vs. at my home freelance studio. At my full-time job, I have two Ultra-Wide screens whereas at my home studio I have 4 HD screens. And I do very different kinds of work in both places. So, how I have things laid out and what kind of workspaces I build vary widely between my two main spots. (And my old MacBook Pro for work on the go is a third set of workspaces!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines