Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden problem creating pdfs from a Word document

Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether I've done anything stupid, but I'm running Acrobat 5.x, PDF version 1.4 on a PC Windows 10 and suddenly, since today, when I try to create a pdf version of a Word document, I click Publish and, when Acrobat opens, the document occupies only a tiny area of the screen (top left). I have tried several documents, each time with the same result. The Reader is on single page view and enable scrolling and I have played around with the zoom, but the same problem. I wonder whether it's a problem linked to an update, whether the Reader has been corrupted in some way and I should re-install it, or whether there's a simple setting that will rectify the problem. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Dear ACP, thanks for your comments. Here's what I replied to Graffiti: Thank you for your suggestion, Graffiti. I did as you suggested, but when installing the downloaded version, I received a message to say that it was already installed (which I think suggests that I must have had the up-to-date version). Nevertheless, when I tried publishing the Word document a moment ago, this time it seems to have worked perfectly. A temporary glitch perhaps? Anyway, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marks51597908  wrote

I don't know whether I've done anything stupid, but I'm running Acrobat 5.x, PDF version 1.4 on a PC Windows 10 

Do you actually have Acrobat 5? Wasn't aware that would even run on Windows 10.

marks51597908  wrote

when I try to create a pdf version of a Word document, I click Publish and, when Acrobat opens, the document occupies only a tiny area of the screen (top left).

Publish? Is that from within MS Word?

marks51597908  wrote

I wonder whether it's a problem linked to an update, whether the Reader has been corrupted in some way and I should re-install it, or whether there's a simple setting that will rectify the problem.

That depends. Reader is only going to view what is being created so we need to know what tool is being used to create the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marks51597908,

We would suggest to please update your application for Adobe Reader to the latest version DC.

You may refer to the link below to install the same:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

Once installed, restart your system and launch the application.

Let me know if the issue still persists.

Thanks,
Supriya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sb116  wrote

Hi Marks51597908,

We would suggest to please update your application for Adobe Reader to the latest version DC.

Thanks,
Supriya

Don't you think it's a bit early for that (generic answer). As far as we know, they already have the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion, Graffiti. I did as you suggested, but when installing the downloaded version, I received a message to say that it was already installed (which I think suggests that I must have had the up-to-date version). Nevertheless, when I tried publishing the Word document a moment ago, this time it seems to have worked perfectly. A temporary glitch perhaps? Anyway, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ACP, thanks for your comments. Here's what I replied to Graffiti: Thank you for your suggestion, Graffiti. I did as you suggested, but when installing the downloaded version, I received a message to say that it was already installed (which I think suggests that I must have had the up-to-date version). Nevertheless, when I tried publishing the Word document a moment ago, this time it seems to have worked perfectly. A temporary glitch perhaps? Anyway, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

marks51597908  wrote

Thank you for your suggestion, Graffiti. I did as you suggested, but when installing the downloaded version, I received a message to say that it was already installed

I didn't ask you to do that. It was unnecessary at that point (since Reader isn't involved in the creation part where you were having issues). That was an Adobe staff member suggestion (very generic and common suggestion).

marks51597908  wrote

Nevertheless, when I tried publishing the Word document a moment ago, this time it seems to have worked perfectly.

Keep in mind that if something goes wrong when "publishing" out of MS Word, that has nothing to do with Reader. Reader is used to view the pdf files after they were created but has nothing to do with the creation of them.

marks51597908  wrote

A temporary glitch perhaps?

Perhaps. Glad it worked. If it comes up again, you'll want to find support for MS Word since it is using it's own built-in pdf creator. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines