• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get my photo totally black & white.

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have my photo black & white. When I go to adjustments: black & white, it is greyed out so I cannot select it. Do I need to do something to my photo first to get access to adjustments: black & white?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Make sure your image mode is RGB Color before converting to Black and White. If it is CMYK then the B&W adjustment is not available.

Similarly if the bit depth is 32-bit , that adjustment will not be available - ensure it is 8 bits/channel or 16 bits/channel (Image -Mode)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your image mode is RGB Color before converting to Black and White. If it is CMYK then the B&W adjustment is not available.

Similarly if the bit depth is 32-bit , that adjustment will not be available - ensure it is 8 bits/channel or 16 bits/channel (Image -Mode)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert your image to Grayscale first (it doesn't matter whether it's RGB or CMYK): Image > Mode > Grayscale, then you can convert it to B&W: Image > Mode > Bitmap, you experiment with the various settings in  bitmap dialogue box, such as 50% threshold, to see which effect you prefer. There are other ways of creating B&W images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Generally, when something is greyed out, it is because in it's current state that option is unavailable.  Double-check to confirm your image is RGB, not CMYK, and it should also be either 8 or 16 bit.  Please feel free to post a screen capture if you are not sure.  The attached image shows that my image is RGB and 8 Bit.Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 5.34.53 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines