• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio file does not sync with video recording of same audio file.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was making a tutorial video where I was talking over a backing track. I intended to add the backing track in Premiere as well so that people would hear the actual recording of the backing track rather than the second-hand audio that my microphone on the camera was picking up.

However, when I imported the video and the backing track into Premiere the audio in the video would not synchronize with the audio backing track, even though they are exactly the same audio. If I sync the backing track with the audio from the video manually, they get out of time with each other.

I'm not sure if it is the backing track that is slowed down or the video file that is sped up. I imported both the backing track and the video into iMovie and had the same problem.

I did something similar to what I am talking about last week with no issues. And, as far as I am aware, none of the settings on my camera, or in Premiere have changed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar issues trying to add a .wav version of the song to a dance clip recorded at a wedding reception.  I solve it by adjusting the speed/duration of the audio clip so that it stays in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that but I don't understand why it would be happening seemingly randomly. As I mentioned, I did exactly the same thing last week with no issues.

I don't know if this is a problem with my camera (I tested it on two cameras) or the video footage when I import into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the audio recorder wasn't keeping proper time.

I don't know what the cause might be for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished my project, having to adjust the speed of the audio tracks to keep them in time. They all required different adjustments (100.8%, 100.4%, etc), which makes me think the video was speed was changing over time??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera were you using to record video? If you were using a web cam or capture software to record your tutorial off your screen, you are running through your computers' sound card. Computer sound cards are not known for their accuracy of sample rate, same with internal video cards. Often differences in sound playback time vary due to different sample rates (Macs=48Khz, PC's 44.1Khz) etc. Many cameras can be set to different sample rates. If all devices in your audio/video chain are not set to the same sample rate, including your Premiere project, each mismatch can throw off the timing slightly resulting in odd timing differences. Then there's the frame rate of your video. 29.97 or 30 fps? 24 or 23.97? To make it worse some cameras (Sony) SAY 24 FPS in the settings but actually record at 23.97. Get my drift? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was using a Canon 80D and a Canon G7x to get a second shot. The footage from both these cameras synced perfectly, which made me think it wasn't a setting on the camera? But they both had the timing differences I described when importing into both Premiere and iMovie. My video was recorded at 48kHz and the audio was 44.1kHz, but I tested it with a different audio track I exported at 48kHz and that didn't seem to make a difference. I wasn't capturing anything off the screen, but when I have in past I run it through an external soundcard. Also, I'm using a 2011 Macbook Pro

I did try exporting from handbrake with a constant frame rate but I don't think that fixed the problem. The file was still out of time, although, to be fair, I only tested one portion of it for time discrepancies so it might have been the same speed the whole time (albeit the wrong one).

Does anyone know if it's possible that what I recorded last week was using a variable frame rate but just happened to sync up perfectly?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't differences in sample rate only affect the audio portion of the video? In my case, the video and video's audio were perfect in sync with each other (and the second camera), but out of time with the separate audio I was trying to sync to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is not a lot of information about what you used to capture the video and the sequence setting, but however, i would try to convert the video to constant frame rate using Handbarke, that explain the changing overtime

https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines