5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2008 12:10 PM by liveoak

Dir 10 projector - sudden errors on MacBook Pro

liveoak
      Yesterday a coupe of users had script errors after installing an interactive on both a MacBook and MacBookPro, when starting an application that I've been distributing for several years now. It is a 10.1.1 projector (all the latest updates), using a quick start stub movie. All Xtras are distributed inside my installer and placed in an appropriate Xtras folder. I've probably had over a 1000 Mac users install various versions successfully over the last few years, and then every student runs the application for an hour a week over the academic year. It's been running successfully on all flavors of Mac machines - G4, G5 and Intel boxes.

After the reports of problems came in, today I began retesting this year's installer (which had all worked great on 7 or 8 test Macs) to try to track down the sudden problem. Had no errors on a G4 iBook, a G5 iMac, or my Quad-core Mac Pro. But sure enough, I also got a script error on my MacBook Pro that I had not seen before! And to complicate matters even more, a second program (that uses an identical configuration) that was installed successfully on my MBP in July now also gives the same script error at startup. Note that this laptop is not my main machine, and sees light use these days.

After extensive testing (at first thinking this might be an issue with my new installer), I noticed that a tiny dialogue box appeared on the screen for a split second, then disappeared. A portion of my projector (1024 x 768) then appeared within the same dimensions as that dialogue, then the script error came up. I used a screen capture program to record the sequence at 30 fps, and after a couple of tries was able to get the following screen shot:

http://www.aufgehts.com/images/AG_SW_error.jpg

I am completely puzzled because there is no need to download Xtras - after 8 hours of investigation I still have no idea what's going on. Both my MBP and MP have 10.5.4 with all the latest updates, and another team member with a MBP and 10.5.4 is able to run the program successfully. I've tried resetting Permissions for the application's folder, but with no success.

The Projector has no need to download any Xtras (this option is NOT turned on in my projector / Xtra settings window). I thought it might be a problem with a Shockwave 11 player so I uninstalled just in case. Further, we tested the MBP that has no errors by uninstalled Shockwave 10 and installing SW 11, and this other MBP had no problem. The projector is a normal one that doesn't need to download a SW player (plus it is set to run with SW 10), so it should just start up with Rosetta, look for the Xtras folder, and run as normal.

Anyone had similar issues or have a guess as to what might be going on? All ideas will be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Dir 10 projector - sudden errors on MacBook Pro
          Level 7
          Have you checked that it hasn't suddenly, of its own volition, marked some
          xtras for "Include in projector" or something?

Can you capture the TCP packets to find out the name of the xtra it wants to
          download? (I think tcpdump will do that:
          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107952 .)

Andrew

• 2. Re: Dir 10 projector - sudden errors on MacBook Pro
            liveoak Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            Have you checked that it hasn't suddenly, of its own volition, marked some
            xtras for "Include in projector" or something?

Can you capture the TCP packets to find out the name of the xtra it wants to
            download? (I think tcpdump will do that:
            http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107952 .)

Andrew,

Thanks for the lead for the TCP packet check - I'll look into that. The idea of my stub projector getting corrupted was something I explored earlier - but if I drag the application over the network to my MacPro, the behaviour disappears and everything runs normally. So it looks like the only common link is Intel laptops (?) rather than an issue with the projector.
            • 3. Re: Dir 10 projector - sudden errors on MacBook Pro
              fazstp Level 2
              What sort of installer are you using? Was it created under Leopard? I haven't had this particular issue but have had other problems with permissions not being set properly in Leopard by a pkg created under Tiger.

• 4. Re: Dir 10 projector - sudden errors on MacBook Pro
                liveoak Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: fazstp
                What sort of installer are you using? Was it created under Leopard? I haven't had this particular issue but have had other problems with permissions not being set properly in Leopard by a pkg created under Tiger.

I'm using the latest version of Firestorm (from Vise), created on my MacPro with 10.5. At first I assumed it was my installer, but the problem persists even if I manually install my uncompressed gold master files via my internal network. Further, all my old, previously installed and working versions of various Director 10 project run-time applications are now "broken" on this one MBP.

Like you, my best guess is that it is a permissions issue. My theory is that all Xtra folders have now somehow become locked and the projector can not access them (this would explain the errors on the exisitng programs). Tried numerous solutions to this therory: resetting permissions in the app folder so all users have Read/Write access to all enclosed folders, repairing permissions in Disk Utilties, etc. The fact that this only appears to occur on the MacBook Pro and MacBook (so far) makes me wonder if there is some conflict with the Intel laptops. Or it could just be coincidence due to the majority of my users' (students) having laptops ...

Any ideas will be entertained ... Is it possible to get more effective permissions repairs via terminal (which I am not too familiar with)?
                • 5. Re: Dir 10 projector - sudden errors on MacBook Pro
                  liveoak Level 1
                  Thanks for the feedback - it was permissions issues, and nothing to do with the MBP. Had to have one user reinstall a fresh copy of OS X 10.5, but I assuem their entire system must have been in very bad shape.