4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 10:19 AM by Keep Designing

Fla file won't open in Animate. No error.

Keep Designing Level 1

I was working on a file yesterday and saved it as a .fla file like normal. Today I go to open the file and it clicks on it, activates Adobe Animate, but the file doesn't show up. I can import the library just fine from the file (so I can at least start over with some assets). I've tried compressing and renaming the file to no avail. There is no popup error telling me the file is corrupt, it's not hidden or in a different tab or window. I'm stumped. It's only a 30 MB file so the size shouldn't be an issue either. Why won't it open—any ideas?

• 1. Re: Fla file won't open in Animate. No error.
          Asymetrical Adobe Community Professional

I'm not positive when this occurred, but I believe since the Creative Suite at least, all .fla files are really just containers hold xfl files that are zipped up. If you change the .fla extension to .zip you'll find you'r files assets inside. One of those is an xfl file. Double click it and you might find all your work.

• 2. Re: Fla file won't open in Animate. No error.
            Keep Designing Level 1

Didn't work. If I zip it and then double click, it makes a copy with a .cpgz extension. I should have also mentioned I'm on a Mac version 10.11.4

After restarting my project, a few hours later I clicked on the old file again just to see if it still wouldn't open and it opened no problem. Then I was unable to publish the files or preview the work on a browser. I restarted the program and am back to square one with both files unable to load. I'm thinking it's some kind of issue with the program, not the files. I'm really clueless as to why it was working a month ago and now I have these problems.

• 3. Re: Fla file won't open in Animate. No error.
              Keep Designing Level 1

Updated Animate to the most recent version and tried opening the file again with the same result. However, I was able to open a previous project I had worked on before this problem started and it opened with no problems at all. It probably is something in the file, perhaps the image is too big. I'm using a 15 MB image that is being sized down in the program. Has anyone else run into this issue when using large images?

• 4. Re: Fla file won't open in Animate. No error.
                Keep Designing Level 1

I ended up reinstalling the program and so far it's worked. If anyone has any problems previewing, publishing or opening a file, try uninstalling and reinstalling the program.