4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 8:54 AM by RicSimane

How to intersect 2 layers in 2 places during puppet tool animation?

RicSimane

Hello!

I'm just starting to learn After Effects for animation purposes after switching from OpenToonz. So far the program is great but I found one problem that I can't solve on my own or find any solution of the internet (or even properly describe in English words since English is not my first language).

Let's visualise the problem with 2 lines on different layers that intersect with each other in 2 points:

AE1.PNG

I would like the green line to be above the blue line on the bottom intersection but at the same time I want the blue line to be above the green one on the top intersection just like this:

AE2.PNG

I know I can achieve this using Track Matte by creating a layer with upper half of the blue line that works as a invert matte mask for the green line (that's how I made it in the image above).

The problem occurs when I want to animate the blue line using puppet tool. The layer that is the source for track matte stays in the same place!

AE3.PNG

I don't know how can I make the mask layer follow the transformation of the blue line. In OpenToonz is was easy because I could simply apply one mesh to multiple layers but I don't such option in After Effects.

Or is there any other way I can make the blue line remain at the top of green line in the upper intersection at the whole time of puppet tool animation?

I also tried messing with the Z axis and putting blue line with the mask layer in a pre-compose but it didn't work.

I just hope the solution is something else than just frame-by-frame post processing using vector masks or something.

BTW. Eventually I want to make this using DUIK plugin but for purposes of this question I think puppet tool is enough