7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 3:35 PM by gil78

No pen pressure

amberl41602043 Level 1

Hi,

I realise there is already a thread regarding this issue however, despite trying the correctly posted answer, I am still having issues. Up until yesterday (23/02/2017) my tablet was working fine. Now, all of a sudden, the pen pressure won't work. I've tried the usual - uninstall/re-install driver as per instructed in the manual. This didn't work so I tried uninstalling/re-installing Photoshop - again, to no avail. I tried the method as posted by a user - saving a NotePad file with # Use WinTab Use System Stylus 0, to the file path C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Settings\, however, I can't seem to find this file path - I get as far as UserName and then none of the other files in the path seem to exist.

I'm using Windows 10, and the tablet is an XP - Pen 03 Star Series, and Windows Ink Workspace is enabled. I was actually prompted to go to the thread from my tablet's quick guide booklet. It says:

Q. If you are using Photoshop CC on Windows and the pen pressure does not function properly, but functions properly with other software:

A. the Photoshop CC uses a seperate pen pressure command; please visit the Adobe web site to solve this issue. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1500227 

I just don't understand why it's suddenly stopped working like this. It may not be a high end gadget like a Wacom however it's been decent for me as a beginner. I'm currently using Photoshop CC 2017 and this was updated sometime last year and my tablet was fine even after the updates - it's only now that it's having this issue with pen pressure.

Any help would be appreciated. I wonder if I may have missed something small but I'm positive I followed the instructions posted by the correct answer poster.

Many thanks

Edit: 25/02/2017 I tried installing a previous version (CC 2015) and uninstalling 2017 - still no luck. Very frustrating as I don't know why it's doing this.

• 1. Re: No pen pressure
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

I tried the method as posted by a user - saving a NotePad file with # Use WinTab Use System Stylus 0, to the file path C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Settings\, however, I can't seem to find this file path - I get as far as UserName and then none of the other files in the path seem to exist.

The AppData folder is hidden. In File Explorer go to View and tick "Hidden Items"

Dave

• 2. Re: No pen pressure
            amberl41602043 Level 1

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply. I managed to find it, however, it hasn't worked at all - I'm still without pen pressure. I'm at a loss :S

• 3. Re: No pen pressure
              alexandras86275695 Level 1

Amberl41602043,

Quick question, how did you get to Windows Ink Workspace to enable it? I'm trying to set up a XP Pen Star05 and I'm having some difficulty.

• 4. Re: No pen pressure
                amberl41602043 Level 1

Hi there,

I use Windows 10 and on my PC, it just appears as an icon on the bottom right of the taskbar (between the speakers and touch keyboard icon). The icon looks like a pen on an angle drawing a curved line. I don't really recall having to enable it as such because it has always been there, well, at least as far as I've had my tablet - I'd never actually opened it and I only realised what it actually was when I started having the pressure issue.

Incedentally since I last posted, my pressure sensitivity did return for a short while, only to find out this morning that it's gone again. I don't know if the brief revival was anything to do with the PSUserConfig file. I've tried everything I can think of (uninstalling/re-installing the tablet driver; uninstalling/re-installing Photoshop; saving the PSUserConfig file into Photoshop Settings as before, and even the simple things like unplugging/re-plugging in the USB.

It's possible that it's something that ends up righting itself after a while, however, it's hard to say since I don't know what the underlying issue is in the first place, and it gets a bit frustrating to say the least when it just stops working. As I've said it's not one of the high-end tablets like a Wacom but I've had no issues with it whatsoever until recently. I also find it strange that the user manual actually prompts you to come to this forum to fix the issue, as if it anticipates that you will experience problems with Photoshop CC, because it actually states that Photoshop CC uses a seperate pen-pressure command. The first moment I experienced the problem was 73 days after the 2017 update - if it was an update causing the issue I would have thought it would have happened much sooner...

Apologies as this probably won't help you very much but I'm just relaying my experiences.

• 5. Re: No pen pressure
                  alexandras86275695 Level 1

Amber,

I put the PSUserConfig file in the settings and it worked fine. Pen Pressure still won't work in Sketchbook Pro but Photoshop and Illustrator seem to work. I am having a different issue now. Every time I Ctrl+Alt+Z to undo something in Photoshop, the Pen Pressure Settings seem to go away. Also, every time I switch brushes, the setting will not stay and I have to go back and change the System Dynamics and Transfer to Pen Pressure. It's a very annoying issue and was wondering if you had any issues with this as well?

• 6. Re: No pen pressure
                    amberl41602043 Level 1

Hi Alexandra,

I can't say I've experienced those issues - I use the Photoshop keyboard shortcuts alot and to my knowledge it hasn't affected the pen- pressure settings. Same goes for switching between brushes - pen-pressure doesn't seem to be affected when I've done this. For me it just seems to come and go and I don't know what it is that's causing the issue. It's strange that it's also affecting your brush settings in that way though. I've emailed XP - Pen in a last ditch effort to see if they can shed any light on the issue; they haven't got back to me yet but they'll no doubt just direct me to the Adobe Forum!

• 7. Re: No pen pressure
                      gil78 Level 1

Hi,

I just bought and installed an XP - Pen 03 Star Series tablet, under Windows 10.

While pen pressure was OK with Corel Painter Essential 5, it was not working with Photoshop CC 2017.

Actually, to solve the problem, I just selected the "Supports Digital Ink" boxe in the XP-Pen configuration tool, and now, it's working perfectly.