• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compile an open source plug-in?

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I'm working at an open source project and I don't intend to compile the sources to hide the content of the Lua files. On the other hand I have sympathy with plug-in developers who are interested to hide the code by compiling the code. Both philosophies have their right to exist. But this is not my theme. My theme is:

I'm wondering why there are plug-in developers who (a) provide the code public and (b) compile the code.

Maybe, there are technical advantages I didn't realize up to now?

I came across this topic by inspecting the “500px Publisher for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom®”.

This plug-in includes compiled Lua files. The included readme file states, the sources are maintained at GitHub.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

I don't think there's any large benefit to compiling code other than obscuring the source.  See this thread for more information: Any technical benefit to compiling Lua?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think there's any large benefit to compiling code other than obscuring the source.  See this thread for more information: Any technical benefit to compiling Lua?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines