• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed Captions won't export embeded in the .mp4

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i currently have a project where i have to add Closed Captions to a customer short film. Theoratically a easy task. In fact it was until i had to export the project. I chose ''embed captions in file''. But in the exportet file are simply no captions embeded. I tried it with CEA-608&708, tested it with an other project, even reinstalled Premiere completely. When this didnt help i contacted the adobe support chat which couldnt find the problem either. Following the instructions i renamed the AppData/PremierePro/11.0 to 11.0_alt. Because this adobe support solution didn't solve the problem i am contacting you - the forum - my last hope.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you determining if your output files do or don't have 608/708 embedded captions?

There is a really useful FREE utility called Media Info that I use on a regular basis to interrogate media files that I receive to check resolution, compression and captioning. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaInfo

Download, install and check your files.  Use the HTML view and scroll down to the TEXT section.  If closed captioning data is present, the FORMAT field will contain: EIA-608 or EIA-708 or both. If no captioning is present, the TEXT section will not be shown.

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lee,

thank you for the handy tool. I simply checked the video by opening it in vlc player and tried to enable captions and there werent any. But with your tool i can now clearly say there are no captions. I dont have any idea how to work around it. I tried exporting the captions as a side car data and and embed them with a nice little tool called ''My Mp4Box Gui" which helped me but just accepts .srt captions.

But I have to have my captions at some points at the bottom and sometimes on the top of the screen which i belive isnt possible with .srt or the My Mp4Box Gui messes this up.

Thank you for your time and in advance for any further help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can send you a CC 2017 Media Encoder preset that I just used which embeds captions however it's for broadcast MXF OP1a files (XDCAMHD 422).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after i Tried Lee's preset i have a clip with/without captions. Which means MediaInfo says it has Captions in it but 0.0 Bytes of it. So they obviously cant be enabeled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that the file format is where you're running into trouble.  If you were to switch to .MXF, the captions should be embedded as expected.  Do you have a delivery specification that's requiring MP4?

If a text file can be delivered with the video file, a quick way to get a .scc after having already exported picture and sound is to export again with the video disabled and the option for generating a text file enabled (I'm not in front of PR at the moment, so sorry that I can't provide more specifics).

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Warren,

thank you for your suggestions. I have a mp4 requirement by the custumor indeed. As you can see in my previous answer if i use mxf the media info (lee's tip) tells me that captions are embeded but 0.0 bytes of them. So basicly none and you cant even enable it while playing the clip.

So here is how i solved it:

I exported my already made captions out of premiere pro as a side car .srt. Imported them in a nice handy tool called Subtitleedit used the alignment tool there to align some captions at the top where needed and exported that as a .idx/.sub .

.srt doesnt support the top or bottom alignment.

Next step is to embed the .idx in the customer mp4 file with the previously mentioned mymp4 box app.

e voila ... not nice ... not a way i prefere ... but it works

I'd like to to that work in premiere but at the moment until my support ticket gets solved it doesnt let me do that.

I thank everybody so much for their time helping me out in this conflict espacially Mr. leew5477482​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i did the captions following this manual

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll second @

If you're watching your video in VLC, the embedded captions won't show up because they're embedded into the video stream on Line 21.

Check your video using QuickTime, I think it has a Line 21 decoder to show captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leew5477482​ i'd love to try it with your preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines