2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 10:25 AM by Michael Witherell

How to create a content grid with duplicate information?

FeatherWriter Level 1

So I have somewhat of a unique situation and I'm new to InDesign and not certain how to figure this one out. My company would like to print small invitations, in a two-by-two grid of four on letter size paper. Now, I've already made the design of one invitation, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a grid of these.

Ideally, since this is a template we'll be using frequently at many different events, I'd love a template that I'm able to change the information in once and then have the whole grid update. I'm not sure if there's a way to print duplicates of a design on a page in the printing options, or if there's a way to tell InDesign to make a layout where one of the squares is the "master" and the others just match whatever's over in that one.

It feels like there should be an easy way to do this, but searching through the options, I'm not finding anything on my own.

If worst comes to worst, I can always just update the "master" information and then copy and paste all the text and frames into the other three places each time we need a new invitation, but I feel like there should be a faster, easier way to do this than having to copy and paste everything by hand every time.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do?

• 1. Re: How to create a content grid with duplicate information?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on what version on InDesign you have, you could use the Content Conveyer.

Put you created box into the conveyer, and make sure link is checked.

Then you can place multiple copies that are linked to the original.

Changes made in the original show as changed links in the Links Pallet, and you can click update there to revise them all to match your original.

Screenshot 2017-02-27 12.53.46.png Screenshot 2017-02-27 12.54.55.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to create a content grid with duplicate information?
            Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

If you have a basic template invitation that needs to be customized to a list of names and addresses, then you should probably be using the DataMerge panel. You also build a spreadsheet (in Excel) and save it as a CSV file (a simplified spreadsheet file), link it to the design using the Data Merge panel. You design 1 invitation in the upper left of the page. You replace portions of the designed text with placeholders that point to entries in a spreadsheet, then have it generate all the step-and-repeat across and down the page(s) in order to build a whole range of customized invitations.

1 person found this helpful