• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what effect should i use to reproduce this visual (make highlights glow parallel rays) ?

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I have this shot where the tubes are spinning around her.
WGA - blacklight - original.jpg

I want it to look like laser saber from star wars. Like this
WGA - blacklight - laser saber.jpg

I create the shot above in FCPX using the "streaks" effect. But for some reason, it does not apply on the 5th tube. I tried to match the color and luminance of that 5th tube to the others before applying the effect, but I does not work. Didn't figure out why. It does not work even if I try do it only on the 5th tube by keying or so ... So in FCPX I cannot get that last tube glow which is annoying.

So I would like to do it in After Effects, but I have no clue what effect can I use to make the highlights glow parallel rays at an angle I can set so they are parallel to the tubes and can hide the tape & the hanging wires at the same time.

Here the angle is random so you can see what I mean
WGA - blacklight - what the plugin does.jpg

Please note that I don't want to use generators like Beam, or Video Copilot's Saber because that would imply the use of masking and tracking when the lights get behind her head and feathers.

I gave it a shot at the Glow effect, Trapcode Shine, Trapcode Starglow, but unsucessfully.

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you so much !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to isolate the beams and generate a matte for them e.g. using the Channel Combiner based on luminance and the magenta portions....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have my mattes ... but that doesn't tell me what effect I should use to create what I want afterwards ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure I understand your issue then. If you have mattes, you should easily be able to make everything glow as you want it. Sounds more like you may want to spend more time on it and apply the effects separately to each beam to vary the look on each one and get correct mutual obscuration behavior. You could e.g. frizzle up the mattes with Roughen Edges or Noise to vary the distribution of the rays emanating from the neon tubes...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines