4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 5:50 AM by maur33n

Automatic Startup

maur33n
      Hello,
      I am unsure if this has been asked and answered before, but I wanted to know how you get Captivate 3 from automatically starting when you boot up the computer. I have Windows Xp. Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Automatic Startup
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Welcome to our community, Maureen

Yours is an odd request! I say that because Captivate doesn't normally insert itself into any startup routines for Windows. I don't believe any such option exists as there is with other software. So it's more than a bit curious as to how yours got to be that way.

Nonetheless, you have an issue that needs resolving. So let's give it a try.

Click Start, then Run, type MSCONFIG into the Run dialog and press Enter.l
          Click the tab on the far right and scan through the list to see if you see Captivate in there anywhere. If so, clear the check mark and you should be good.

Give that a go and report back as to whether it worked for you. If not, more detective work is in order.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Automatic Startup
            maur33n Level 1
            Thank you for the quick response. However, I have tried this before and Captivate 3 does not appear on the list.

This is rather odd. Captivate will only automatically start if it has been previously opened. The day after I do not use the program, it will not automatically start up. I do not think I had this same issue with the previous versions.
            • 3. Re: Automatic Startup
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi again

I suppose it's possible that you may have attempted to close Captivate down and for some reason it was still running. I believe that it's a common Windows behavior to restart any applications that were running if Windows is restarted.

I dunno. Troubleshooting is often akin to attempting to capture a mist. Things elude you.

Sorry I wasn't of any help... Rick
              • 4. Re: Automatic Startup
                maur33n Level 1
                Actually, that really makes sense.
                When I got to my computer today (at work) I saw that someone had been using it, and Captivate was open. I thought I closed the program before shutting down, but perhaps I didn't give it enough time. I will try a few test runs and see if this is what has been happening.

Thanks Rick!

:)