• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix this problem: I don't know what I did?

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what I did but I am relatively new to Illustrator and I have no idea what I did but I was trying to make a repeat pattern and all of a sudden all of these paths  appeared out of nowhere as if I had copied my original pattern but I took all of the strokes and fill colors out of everything. I don't know if this helps but right before this happened I dragged the pattern into swatches. Whatever I did has affected the color too because when I try to change the color of a specific part of an object it ends up changing the whole object to one color. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 5.36.27 PM.png

Any idea on what I did and how I would go about fixing it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe step by step.

Please show a screenshot that includes the layers panel (fully opened)

And since we don't know what you want to achieve: please describe that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is the full screen shot.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 6.51.25 PM.png

I am trying to create a repeat pattern of some leaves that I drew by hand, imported into illustrator, and then went over with the pen tool. I then colored them in and arranged them on the artboard. To create the pattern I copied and pasted the background and removed the fill and stroke color to define the boundary but I think my problem arose when I tried to turn the pattern into a swatch by dragging and dropping it into the swatches panel. I had no problem with it the first time but I noticed that I had made a mistake on the pattern and needed to change one of the colors so I changed it and tried to create another swatch, however, the new swatch was not showing up in the swatches panel so I kept trying to add it a few more times and it would not work. I wonder if this somehow caused but I am not sure how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your documents are 'recovered' there. did illustrator crash at some point in this procedure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of remember that Illustrator froze on me and I had to force quit everything to get illustrator to work again so that probably is why the documents say recovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am not sure if this helps but this is a picture of one of the objects I made in illustrator.

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 7.01.41 AM.png

When I pull it away from the artboard it somehow loses it colors and starts showing the colors of the pattern like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 7.02.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if that also happens when you set View > Preview on CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I tried that and I don't see all of those crazy lines anymore but when I woke up this morning those lines had kind of disappeared on their own anyways, however, I am not able to use the eyedropper tool to pick up color in the way you normally would and when I do it picks up the whole pattern instead of the color. When I try to move an object off of the artboard it not only does what I explained above but it is essentially as if I am creating a duplicate of the object since the object is moved but also stays on the artboard (I am not holding down option so this should not happen). Also, If I try to move the background off of the artboard it creates a copy of the entire pattern. I hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines