• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed file names outside Lightroom - what now?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a newbie LR user looking for help with a specific problem.

I've just realised that partway through last year my photos should have rolled over from file names C_04xxxx.CR2 to C_05xxxx.CR2 with the result that there were around 4500 files with the prefix C_04 rather than the prefix C_05. Some of these have already been imported into LR. I've corrected the names of the offending files outside LR but realised that this will affect photos in the imported collections.

I'm not sure how to correct the issue so my edits are not lost.

Thanks

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

You can re-link the photos, but you have to do this for every photo.

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

btw: Why do you care about the file names? I don't see why you changed these file names in the first place.

Basic rule: Perform file manipulations only from within LR, except you know exactly what you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can re-link the photos, but you have to do this for every photo.

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

btw: Why do you care about the file names? I don't see why you changed these file names in the first place.

Basic rule: Perform file manipulations only from within LR, except you know exactly what you do.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I was looking for such a reference link!

As to your btw, it's the system I use! It's important that the filenames are unique and sequential for my system, so it would be a nonsense to have two files with the same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding your system:

I also have unique filenames. I let LR generate a unique filename upon import/copy and never have to worry about it.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside Lightroom, change the file names back to what they were. That's the easiest way to correct things. And in future, do any renaming in Lightroom (but you've already learnt that lesson, I hope).

Do you have Bridge? Its file renaming feature allows you to search for C_04 and replace it with C_05 - it's called "string substitution" in Bridge's renaming dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll have to consider which is the easier option of the two suggested!

Unfortunately, I don't have Bridge, but yes, lesson learned! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines