Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bitmap Image Components Compression?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a scientific illustration that contains both vector graphics and bitmap images that is massive in size (29 Mb). This is most likely due to the bitmap components included in this illustration. Although, I'm pretty sure that the answer to my question will be: "use Photoshop", I would like to know if there is a way to compress the bitmap images within Illustrator without having to rebuild the entire illustration.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Doctor TS,

If it is only about the AI file size, linking instead of embedding (clicking Link when placing) would make the difference.

In that way you can adjust t resolution/file size in the source file. And that will determine the file size of the resulting PDF (presumed, or whichever kind of file).

For existing embedded images, you should be able to Select and Unembed:

Unembed images in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doctor TS,

If it is only about the AI file size, linking instead of embedding (clicking Link when placing) would make the difference.

In that way you can adjust t resolution/file size in the source file. And that will determine the file size of the resulting PDF (presumed, or whichever kind of file).

For existing embedded images, you should be able to Select and Unembed:

Unembed images in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, providing a sample .ai file would be helpful, so one can see about what you are actually talking. Plus, what do you mean by "compressing" the images? Just reducing their ppi? Or something else? Are the images embedded or linked? Any other relevant info you may want to provide?

"Massive in size (29 MB)": Well, that depends on what the file contains. 29 MB was "massive in size" two or three decades ago. Nowadays it may be just an appropriate file size if there are actually 29 MB of data.

Can you elaborate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kurt,

I use Illustrator CC 2017. I cannot share the file since it contains confidential information but another forum member also pointed out that I would have had greater control if the bitmap images had been linked rather than embedded.

As you pointed out, 29 MB is not that bad and I found a way to transfer this and other files to our editing partner.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines