5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 1:01 AM by davidl28784412

Lightroom will not connect

davidl28784412

When trying to use lightroom I get a message stating something along the lines of " lightroom cannot connect as it is already running in another application. Then the options , choose another catalogue, continue , exit.

This is driving me nuts as I cannot use the software. Please help !

• 1. Re: Lightroom will not connect
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Look in the folder where the catalog file is stored for a .lock file. Delete that .lock file. Do this with LR closed then try to open LR.

• 2. Re: Lightroom will not connect
            davidl28784412 Level 1

I have looked through all my photo files and can't seem to find anything.

Could it be somewhere else ?

Thank you

• 3. Re: Lightroom will not connect
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The Catalog files isn't usually with your images. Do a search for .LRCAT (.lrcat). If you find any look at the folders they are in for a .lock file. Have LR closed when doing that. Delete the .lock file.

Or better yet just search for .lock.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom will not connect
                DdeGannes Level 5

Look in My Pictures( Win) / Pictures ( Mac) >Lightroom, You should see a file there that has an extension .lrcat (LRCAT), that is your Catalog File.

Check if there is also a file with the same name ending with the extension .lock (LOCK) and delete this file if it is present, do not delete any other files in the Lightroom sub folder.

When lightroom is open it creates a temporary file next to the Catalog file that is open with the lock extension to prevent any other use of the Catalog file. If Lightroom is shut down normally this lock file is automaticall deleted, However if Lightroom is shut down abnormally i.e. crash or power off the lock file may remain in place and will prevent Lightroom from reopening. 

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Lightroom will not connect
                  davidl28784412 Level 1

I have now got Lightroom back to an extent but it will only open through a

file described as Lightroom Catalogue but the icon on my desktop has now

turned into a blank file with no LR logo that just looks like a sheet of

paper with one corner turned down. Excuse my layman's terms but easy to

describe that way. I can live with this as I have pulled the Lightroom

Catalogue to the desktop to work from there. Just preferred it as it was

originally. Should I uninstall then reinstall ? I subscribe monthly so

unsure if this would work. Thank you