• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Raw Options dialog box is missing

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CC 2017 running on an instance of Windows 7 that is unable to open a raw file (NOT a camera raw file).  When I do "Open As..", select the raw file, and select "Photoshop Raw (.RAW)" as the file type, rather than opening the Photoshop Raw Options dialog box, it gives the error message "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."  This particular instance of Windows is running on an isolated network (not connected to the internet).  It works correctly on a machine that is on a different network (connected to the internet).  I don't understand why it is generating a JPEG error when the file is not a JPEG file and it shouldn't be trying to open it until after the Photoshop Raw Options dialog box has been populated.  Can anyone shed light on what might be wrong with the configuration to cause it to skip the Photoshop Raw Options dialog and go straight to trying to open the file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this one particular file, or with .RAW files in general?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand why you would need to use Open As to open a .RAW file  I would think  File>Open would do fine.  I do not any .raw file and did not try to save one.  I dot try to use Open As .raw a Gif File.  I did see a dialog open raw but of course the .gif file opened as garbage.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I try just "Open", it says "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."  I assume without a standard extension (in this case, it comes with an extension of "XYZ", but I've tried changing it to "RAW" and other things, with no change) or magic number at the beginning of the file, PS has no idea how to handle it.  By using "Open As.." and selecting Photoshop Raw, I'm (normally) able to tell it how much header to skip, how many bytes per pixel, what endian to use, and the aspect ratio of the image.  That's all necessary for a typical raw image.  In other words, I need that dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is with a class of raw files that are generated by a particular type of scanner.  I've tried more than one file, and the same file with both instances of Photoshop, and a file that opens on one system does not get to the Photoshop Raw Options dialog box on the other.  The fact that I'm able to open the file on one system indicates that there isn't a problem with the file.  Furthermore, on that system I can enter different options and it will open even if the result is garbage.  The fact that the other system doesn't even get to the dialog box tells me there's something wrong with the configuration, and while I've looked through menus extensively, I have no idea what aspect of the configuration could cause this kind of issue.  Could it be trying to run a script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting all Photoshop tools and your Photoshop Preferences on the failing machine?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, but I just tried and it didn't have any effect.  I did "Reset Preferences on Quit" and both "Restore Defaults" and "Clear Tools" in Customize Toolbar.  I should mention that is a fresh installation of PS CC 2017, and I had the same problem with PS CC 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered a workaround to this problem that probably provides a hint about the cause, but for now I have no idea what that is.  I noticed that when I tried to open image files using "Open As..." specifying various file types, the error messages usually referred to a different file type.  For instance, trying to open as a Photoshop RAW gave a JPEG error.  Trying to open a JPEG as a JPEG yielded a Photoshop 3D error.  I determined that whatever file format I selected, it was trying to use the format 5 items above that one in the menu.  The ones relevant to Photoshop RAW show up like this:

JPEG Stereo

Multi-Picture Format

OpenEXR

PCX

Photoshop PDF

Photoshop RAW

Photoshop Touch

PICT File

PIXAR [Note that my other system has PLY after PIXAR]

PNG

Portable Bit Map

When I select Photoshop RAW, it gave a JPEG error.  When I select Portable Bit Map, it opens the RAW file!!!!  Therefore, there is apparently an offset of five items between what is selected and what it actually does.  Weird.  If someone has an idea why this is happening and how to fix it, I am all ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I just realized that the system that is acting funny is missing exactly five file types in the Open As... menu, relative to my other system that is working.  They are:

3D Studio

Collada

Flash 3D

Google Earth 4

IGES

So I think the question is either why are they missing on the one system, and why doesn't the system know how many file formats it can open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines