• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UnknownNodeType tag - why? - how to prevent?

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, Acrobat XI and DC, Office 365 ...

When I generate a tagged PDF from PowerPoint, every list is tagged as: an L parent, an LI child for each item (so far so good), then child tags of LI are: "UnknownNodeType" which contains the bullet or number, "Lbl" which contains the first few words of the bulleted item, and "LBody" which contains the remainder of the item. Even with CommonLook the clean-up is tedious.

This began when we upgraded to Office 365.  Every PowerPoint, coming from multiple and diverse sources, does this. The type of bullet does not matter, all are tagged like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Danny

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Danny,

I would try deleting the faulty tag structure and "Autotag Document" in Acrobat Pro. You may get better results. Hand-tagging is of course the way to make sure it is done right, but is time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, thanks ... but the point is PowerPoint has always generated perfect list structure as well as almost perfect tag structure in general, and now it doesn't, a step backwards because regardless of how I work around it, takes more time to clean up tags ... just wondering if anyone else is running into this and if they've found a way to generate a PDF with well-tagged lists from PowerPoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving as PDF from PowerPoint, or converting to PDF using the Acrobat plugin? Whichever it is, I would try the other way and see if results are better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was using the plugin. Tried saving-as PDF, it generated tags but also did not tag lists correctly, put bullets & item text all in a bunch of Span tags under LBody, no Lbl.  Also tried auto-tag, it generated some frustrating amusement to clean up.

This isn't happening to just me, all in my group are having this problem.

I'm not looking for a workaround, we can work around it. But my point is that something that used to work perfectly is now broken, and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make it work perfectly again.

For instance, today I tagged a 116-slide presentation from yet another source. Every single list was mis-tagged as I described above, i.e., almost 300 list items had to be fixed.  Even with CommonLook it added an extra 15 minutes or so (manually it would have taken hours). That's a big step backwards from not having to touch the list tags at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines