• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with moving object along path in Z space (CC 2017)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I learned how to move object along path in Z space here: How to rotate a mask in 3D space when copied in property value of another layer.

This is a good method to animate solid objects orbiting around in 3D space, but I want to animate an organic, fluid object swirling around the Y axis.

So, I have my object as a pre-comp and I did make it to orbit around the Y axis in 3D space, but:

1) I am unable to auto-orient my object along path,

2)  and I'm not sure if auto-orienting will actually give the object elasticity/fluidity as it moves along the path around Y axis.

Maybe there are other methods to achieve this effect? Here is the video example of what I want to achieve (that elastic blue waveform, swirling around the building):

example - YouTube

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

I would use CC Cylinder for that project instead of CC Sphere. Then you animate the position of your squiggly line in the pre-comp. Then you use a copy of that animation in the main comp, set matte, track matte and some careful positioning and scale adjustments.

Here's a sample in a 3D scene. Download the project file and play around and you'll see how I laid it out. It only took a few minutes.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 5.56.28 AM.png

Here is the project file: Dropbox - Around the box.aep​ (note: Your browser may add a .txt extension to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of going 3D, you might want to take a look at using the CC Cylinder effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work, the object wraps around the sphere immediately and there is no distinction between the front and the end, even if I increase Sphere's radius to infinity

sphere - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, you can make CC Cylinder render front or back only.  So you make a "Cylinder sandwich" -- back of cylinder on the lower layer, building (masked) on the middle layer, front of cylinder on the top layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got to do a little basic math. The formula for the circumference of a circle is basically 2π R or πD. π is about 3 (3.141). Now you figure out how much of your comp frame size is going to be covered by your graphic. Let's say that you have a standard HD 1920 X 1080 comp but your want your Cylinder or Sphere to cover about half of the comp. This means the layer you want to wrap around the sphere needs to be about 3 X 1000 pixels wide. The height depends on the height of your artwork. Let's say that you want it to cover about 1/2 of the comp height. This means the layer you are going to use to wrap around the sphere or cylinder will need to be 3000 pixels wide by about 1000 pixels high.

In the UI for CC Sphere or CC Cylinder you have a setting for radius. Let's work with that. If you want the sphere to cover about half of the comp then the radius would be about 500 pixels. 500 X 2 * π = about 3000 pixels. This means the layer you want to use for CC Sphere should be 3000 X 1000 pixels. Got that? It's just math.

Now, since shape layers and text layers are the size of the content you'll have to create a new comp that is 3000 X 1000, then add your artwork to that layer. If you want the artwork to wrap about half way around the composition then size the artwork appropriately in the nested (pre-comp) and you're ready to apply CC Sphere to the Sphere comp layer in your main comp.

Now comes the getting the effect to wrap around another layer. In the UI for CC Sphere you will see a property called render. You should put the middle object between two copies of CC Sphere with the top copy set to Outside and the bottom copy set to Inside. This lets the sphere wrap around your middle layer.

You then tie the rotation and any other property you want to keep in sync on the Sphere Front layer to the Sphere Back layer by using the pickwhip to link the properties with a simple expression. No typing or knowledge of scripting required. Alt/Option click the property and drag. That's it.

If you really want to get creative there's an animation preset that applies CC Sphere and links a camera so you can fly around 3D stuff. It is kind of fun to play with.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you replies, Rick and Dave.

I did manage to get my artwork to spin around. Pretty easy actually. But the most difficult part is to get the artwork to fly into the comp window, swirl around the object a couple of times and then fly off the comp, just like in this example I showed earlier: example - YouTube

I think I will be able to achieve this by animating Sphere's radius along with my artwork's Scale in the nested pre-comp, but I can see it's going to take a lot of experimentation before I get it just right. Is there by any chance some other method or at least some math formula to make it easier?

my current thing looks like this: MAIN COMP - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use CC Cylinder for that project instead of CC Sphere. Then you animate the position of your squiggly line in the pre-comp. Then you use a copy of that animation in the main comp, set matte, track matte and some careful positioning and scale adjustments.

Here's a sample in a 3D scene. Download the project file and play around and you'll see how I laid it out. It only took a few minutes.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 5.56.28 AM.png

Here is the project file: Dropbox - Around the box.aep​ (note: Your browser may add a .txt extension to the .aep file. Just delete the .txt and you should be able to open the project and see how this is done.)

It's all about layers and mattes. They are the key to compositing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now it works as I wanted. Fantastic! Thank you, Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines