4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 2:04 PM by Rick Gerard

Audio Spectrum with lightnings or waves?

dji99883860

Hey guys I have a few questions to AE, because I couldn't find something in the internet and maybe someone can help me producing these following things, or if this is even possible to make.

I make music and with After Effects I put some Audio Spectrums along with the music.

1.PNG

This is my latest production (only a picture but imagine these circle bouncing to the beat).

Now to my questions:

1. I want that my Logo "jumping out" with the beat. I already watched many Youtube videos producing this but I couldn't imitate this (for example this: How To Make Logo Jump In After Effect CS6 2016 - YouTube). I tried this but after I use the Keyframe-Assistent my Audio Spectrums don't bounce to the beat so maybe there is a problem with the connection with the music?

Here are my files which I use in After Effects:

2.PNG

2. Is it possible to put some lightnings in the background, which come up along with the beats, just like a Audio Spectrum with lightnings?

3. Is it possible to produce waves, which go off along with the beats (outgoing from the center)?

I hope someone can help me with my project!

Regards

• 1. Re: Audio Spectrum with lightnings or waves?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

C'mon, the web is full of "animate to the beat" video tutorials. None of what you want is any problem when you know how to do this stuff. It's basic animation. You might want to read the help on how to preview stuff in AE or how the program deals with audio in general...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Spectrum with lightnings or waves?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a zillion ways to do what you want to do that involve converting audio to keyframes and then using expressions to drive the animation. You have to take the time to learn where the switches are and understand how to manipulate the image to get what you want. You can do just about any visual effect you have ever seen in any film or commercial using AE, you just have to study up and take the time to learn.

The basic premise is to take a look at the value graph for Both Channels>Slider to determine the max and minimum values you want to use, then tie the property you want to animate to that value with a simple linear or ease expression.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.34.43 AM.png

In this case the floor averages somewhere around 10 and the peaks are around 25 so an expression might look something like this:

t = thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider");

ease(t, 10, 25, 50, 100)

The t is just a name for the both channels slider, the first pair of numbers in the array is the minimum and maximum value you want to use from the Both Channels Slider. The second set of numbers are the new values for the property you are applying the values to. Pretty simple concept but it requires you to spend some time studying.

Then you just work out the effects you want to use for your visualizer. Here's a sample project for you to play with: Dropbox - AudioVisualizer.aep (note: your browser may add a .txt extension to the .aep file. Just delete it.

Just drop in your own audio track, delete the Audio Amplitude layer and convert audio to keyframes from your new audio. Then make adjustments as required. The project looks something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.31.22 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Audio Spectrum with lightnings or waves?
              dji99883860 Level 1

Thank you so much!

I'm already watching lots of videos and tutorials at Youtube but I thought if I ask other people for help it would go faster and also the "animate to the beat" tip helped me a lot to search for videos with the right searching terms!

• 4. Re: Audio Spectrum with lightnings or waves?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you vet your trainers and your tutorials. There are now more lousy tutorials on YouTube teaching inefficient and generally poor ways to approach things than there are good ones.

Your first search for information should usually be the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE, especially if you are looking for information on specific effects. The community resources that show up are usually pretty good.

I'd also suggest that you spend some money on a Lynda.com or a Total Training subscription for at least a few months. If you time is work anything then you'll be money ahead very quickly.