6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 7:10 AM by mattd94212891

Masks with random Opacity

mattd94212891

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here.

I have one Layer in After Effects with like 2000 Masks in it.

Is there a way to animate the Opacity randomly on each Mask without touching every Mask individually, so that every Mask blends in at a different time.

Here is a Picture:

lf.jpg

Every single Point should blend in randomly.

Thanks in Advance!!

• 1. Re: Masks with random Opacity
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You could apply some sort of interpolation expression using linear() and the start and end values being generated randomly. A simple form would be something like that:

seedRandom(4567,true); //random seed, change number for different results

mRand=random(0,3); //random time in seconds

linear(time,0,mRand,0,100); //interpolation

Otherwise you might get much better control by using your shapes on a shape layer and putting them inside respective groups. Dealing with masks is like pulling teeth in AE. Also consider other techniques liek re-creating the dots with text on paths and using text animators.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Masks with random Opacity

Additional note: You still have to go into each mask opacity property, of course. Your approach is simply not very efficient.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Masks with random Opacity
              mattd94212891 Level 1

Thanks alot, Mylenium for your fast answer.

Do you maybe know, if there is a possibility to this with an effect-transition? Like for example the card-blend effect does..

I'm not really into this expression-stuff

• 4. Re: Masks with random Opacity
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

That example doesn't look very random to me.  I think you need to re-evaluate what you're doing... unless we don't know the totality of what you're doing, of course.

• 5. Re: Masks with random Opacity

Card Dance only works for regular grid, which your artwork is not. Matching the "cars" to your dot pattern would be a pain. As I said, try to trace the paths and then type in a dot character in a text layer, referencing the mask path, then apply opacity text animators and wiggly selectors. Likewise, any number of similar techniques e.g. using the Vegas effect or particle effects may work. Again: Your current approach is simply not ideal. You've jumped ahead too far in teh wrong direction and now hit a snag.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Masks with random Opacity
                    mattd94212891 Level 1

Great Idea doing it with text!!!

Thank you very much, Sir!