2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 3:29 AM by dj_paige

Importing problems

mmooner12

I’m new to this Forums customer service. I’m not sure if this is where I go to get help. I’m using a Mac OSX 10.9.5. I have been using Lightroom for years (Lightroom 3, then 5). I had been very satisfied with my LR 5 and the price as an educator was well under $100 -one time. In January I bought a new camera, Panasonic Lumix G85, that wasn’t supported by LR 5 and I had to upgrade to Lightroom Creative Cloud. Now I have to pay $120 every year. I expect that this is a better product and service. After a rough start, the last few weeks have been fine, until:

Yesterday, all of a sudden, when trying to import photos into Lightroom from Nikon 7100, 600 and Lumix G85 I get these kind of comments:

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo.

You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo.

Some import operations were not performed.

-The files appear to be unsupported or damaged.

-The files could not be copied to the backup location

-The following files were not imported because they could not be read or

the destination folder is not writable.

Some files were not converted to DNG

Photos failed to build

____________________________________________________________________________

Yesterday, when trying to  export a collection into my smugmug website-

Can’t update this collection.

The file appears to be unsupported or damaged.

I have photos I can’t get to my clients!!!!!!!

ALSO:

From the beginning, when trying to exit Lightroom and back up catalog:

Catalog size is more than 4GB.

Your catalog size is larger than 4GB. Pleases use a 3ed party utility such as 7-zip or StuffitExpander to extract your catalog backup.

Learn More:

Applies to: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

When backing up your catalogs on macOS, Lightroom CC 2015.1/Lighroom 6.1 and later versions don't compress catalogs that are larger than 4 GB. This restriction was imposed in Lightroom (versions listed below) because the default macOS unzip utility is unable to handle archives larger than 4 GB. It reports such compressed catalogs as 'corrupted' when you try to extract them.

The following Lightroom versions do not zip catalogs larger than 4 GB:

Lightroom CC 2015.7/Lightroom 6.7 | Lightroom CC 2015.6.x/Lightroom 6.6.x | Lightroom CC 2015.5.x/Lightroom 6.5.x |

Lightroom CC 2015.4/Lightroom 6.4 | Lightroom CC 2015.3/Lightroom 6.3 | Lightroom CC 2015.2.x/Lightroom 6.2.x |

Lightroom CC 2015.1.x/Lightroom 6.1.x

Catalog compression in Lightroom CC 2015.8/Lightroom 6.8

Beginning with this release, Lightroom compresses all the catalogs when creating a back up — including the ones that are larger than 4 GB.

Extracting compressed catalogs larger than 4 GB on macOS

To extract such compressed catalog back up files on macOS, use third-party zip utilities like 7-zip, StuffItExpander, or any other utility that can handle extracting large compressed files

Note:

In Lightroom CC 2015.8/Lightroom 6.8 (Mac), the size restriction for compressing a catalog has been removed. Compressing the catalog reduces the disk space consumed by the backup and also improves the backup time, especially when the backup destination is on a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

If I continue to Backing up the Catalog then the blue bar seems to freeze.

___________________________________________________________________________

From the beginning, when trying to optimize the catalog:

Your catalog was not optimized and Lightroom must restart.

Lightroom will check the catalog for damage when it resumes.

• 1. Re: Importing problems
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It is more than likely a permissions problem where OS X has changed the permissions on the folder you have selected as the Destination to copy the images to during the import.

Either change the permissions on the folder you have selected or select a different folder that your Username has Read & Write permissions to.

It is a OS X, Apple thing.

• 2. Re: Importing problems
            dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo.

You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo.

The photos have become corrupted. You need to restore the photos from your backups. It is possible that you are experiencing hard disk problems (this is a possible cause of the problem) and so you need to run diagnostics on your hard disk to determine if it is experiencing problems. Another possible cause is the card reader or camera card has gone bad.

Some import operations were not performed.

-The files appear to be unsupported or damaged.

-The files could not be copied to the backup location

-The following files were not imported because they could not be read or

the destination folder is not writable.

Some files were not converted to DNG

Photos failed to build

These could be permissions problems as explained above, but it could also be that the files are corrupted.

1 person found this helpful