• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting with the rectangular marquee tool while zoomed always beachballs

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm zoomed in quite a bit — like 400–800% — and I use the rectangular marquee tool to select an area, dragging against the edge of the window to scroll and select more than is visible at once, after releasing the mouse the cursor beachballs (Mac) and takes multiple seconds to complete and display marching ants.

I'm sure it's having to calculate the offscreen pixels that will be selected, but the documents are only like 1000x2000px. This happens even if I only have a single layer.

Everything else is plenty fast enough. Any suggestions about what's going on and how to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

May I know which version of Photoshop are you using?

Try unchecking Use Graphics Processor from photoshop's preferences.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running what I believe is the latest version, specifically 20161130.r.29 x64. This has been a problem for many versions, though.

Surprising to me, Use Graphics Processor was already turned off. Should I perhaps try turning it on, instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it with Use Graphics Processor turned on and still had the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying out the steps Matthew, Could you provide some more details about your system specifications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor      2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory      16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics     AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

macOS        Sierra Version 10.12.3 (16D32)

Storage      APPLE SSD SM0512G

More than 200GB free

Note that everything else is fast, I virtually never get a beachball (exceptions for complex filters on large files). Everything else is very fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines