4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 4:22 AM by D Fosse

pc screen angle question.

johnc123

hi guys,

I'm new to photo editing, but I was wondering about looking at the screen, as the brightness changes depending on the my orientation to the screen.

My question is, how do I know what my print out from the camera shop is going to look like, given there are infinite ways the photo appears on my screen?

thanks

j

• 1. Re: pc screen angle question.
          Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How much that happens depends on the type of LCD panel in the display. You can minimize the change with a display that has an IPS panel, which can keep the image appearance consistent across a wide range of viewing angles. IPS panels are favored by photographers and designers for that reason. On the display you have now, the most reliable angle is probably when you're looking straight on to it (90 degrees).

But that alone won't show the image as it's going to be printed, because the display doesn't reproduce color the same way that a printer does. You should ask the camera shop what you should do to get the best match; they'll probably have instructions they've developed through working with customers.

There are advanced ways of getting a good print preview in Lightroom, but the steps involved can be a little intimidating if you're just starting out. They involve:

• Calibrating and profiling the display, so that you have an ICC color profile of how your screen reproduces color
          • Asking the camera shop for an ICC color profile of the paper and ink combination you're going to use (if they can provide one)
          • Using the soft-proofing feature in Lightroom to show you a simulation of printed colors, by applying the two profiles you've acquired above

As you gain experience you may decide to go that route.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: pc screen angle question.
            johnc123 Level 1

hi conrad c,

thanks for taking the time to reply, I will ask the shop next time I'm in.

john

• 3. Re: pc screen angle question.
              johnc123 Level 1

Thanks for that,

I will take that on board. First step is talk to camera shop.

J

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: pc screen angle question.
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to answer your question very specifically (conrad's answer is spot on for the broader context):

You apparently have a TN-type panel, as they're technically known. These panels often have viewing angles so restricted that even the top and bottom thirds of your screen can't be trusted. The top will be too dark, and the bottom washed out. This is especially true for laptop panels.

You can work with that for now, as long as you keep this in mind, and sit strictly 90° on. But if you need to get it right, a good desktop monitor of IPS-type is the best investment you will ever make. It's much more important than the rest of the computer hardware, and should have priority over that.

Money is money, and we never have enough. But next time you have some to spare, this should be very high on the list of where you should spend it. I'd personally say right at the top.

TN panels are widespread for two reasons: One, they're fast, and the gamers like that. Two, they're cheap, and everybody likes that.