• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF export from InDesign - display a "Default Value" in a Text Field?

Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

When preparing an interactive PDF that contains Text Fields, I'd like to have a Text Field pre-populated so that the user can highlight the old data and then input the correct data. I thought this was possible directly from InDesign... until I tried it.

I can apply a Name and Description to the Text Field, but the name doesn't appear (it's there to identify the field from other fields); and the Description is turned into a tooltip upon creation of the interactive PDF.

It IS possible to do this once the interactive PDF is edited with Adobe Acrobat Professional. Using the Prepare Form tool, click on the Text Frame and right click "properties" to display the properties palette. Navigate to the fourth tab along the top of the palette (Options) and change the Default Value to what is desired.

Am I missing something very basic in Adobe InDesign, or is this another feature that has to be adjusted once in Adobe Acrobat Professional, such as changing the typeface from Times to something else?

Many thanks,

Colin

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

InDesign only includes only the rudimentary features of form fields. In no case is it a substitute for the refinements which Acrobat Pro can add.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign only includes only the rudimentary features of form fields. In no case is it a substitute for the refinements which Acrobat Pro can add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day there Steve. Long time, no see!

I figured as much. Did a little bit more reading in the meantime and my research echoes what you are saying.

I see there are a couple of scripts from Ariel Walden that appear to solve the issue, among other things: FormMagic – Id-Extras: InDesign Scripts, Tips & Solutions Cancel​

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Colin,

Yes indeed - FormMagic does this, and a lot more besides pertaining to the formatting of the form fields.

(There is a free version as well for short forms...)

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines